tire ballast

/ tire ballast #1  

chase729

Tractor
Kioti CK 27
Have Kioti CK 27 with no tire ballast. Thinking of adding Rim Guard, Will there be a loss of power or any other downsides?

/ tire ballast #2  
No loss of power.

About the only "downside" (other than the cost) would be the tractor is now heavier (which is almost always a good thing), and you may have to watch out while driving over soft ground, finished lawns, or anywhere that it's possible you could leave tracks or impressions in the ground.

In my case, I can't drive my tractor over my septic field for risk of crushing the pipes. I also try not to drive around when the ground is soft (rains, snow melt, etc).

/ tire ballast #3  
What Slowpoke Slim says. Been out here 40+ years. Had two tractors. First one - Ford 1700 4WD - had NaCl solution in the rear tires. It proved to be no problem for the first 20+ years. Then things went to pot. Valve stem leaks. I was replacing the cores 2X annually.

In 2009 - traded in the Ford and got a brand new Kubota M6040. It has Rim Guard in the rear tires. A tad heavier than NaCl solution and NOT corrosive like the salt water solution.

Loading your rear tires will cause no loss of power. It will increase traction and stability. The type of tires on your tractor will have a major impact on ground disruption. I have R-1's on the M6040. I simply stay off my lawns with this tractor. No reason to be on the lawns anyway. Adding ballast to the rear tires will increase ground disruption( ie - tearing up your lawn).

I have several paths I follow with my tractor - truck - riding mower - to get around my lawns and access the remainder of my property( 80 acres ). With a little planning it can work out well.

/ tire ballast #4  
I'll have to disagree with the previous posters. Yes, there will be a small power loss you are increasing the weight that you are having to move. However much weight you add will behave hp why's just like carrying that much weight will now. If you load your tractor will 800 pounds of weight in any location and start driving it, it will take a bit more hp to get it moving and if you head uphill it will take more hp then on the level, head downhill and you will need more braking.
Liquid ballast will effect the performance of the tractor slightly as you have "pumping " losses with the tire turning through the fluid, it is not a large amount by any means.
The increased weight will normally provide more traction and stability, that is the only reason to add ballast either iron or liquid.

/ tire ballast #5  
I'll second the loss of some power. Put the backhoe on and it can not climb much of anything in High. WIthout the BH will run up the same hill in High. Put the brushhog on the back and it's some where in between.
BH is my favorite counter weight ;) tractor is definitely planted with another 1500 lbs on the back.

/ tire ballast #6  
Well - I wouldn't know guys. I DO have 1550# of Rim Guard in my rear tires. Tractor came from the dealership that way. Exactly as I asked. I have never run the Kubota without something on the 3-point. HD Rhino rear blade - Land Pride LPGS, HD Land Pride chipper - etc, etc. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Whatever - I certainly have never run out of sufficient power. Traction - now that's another story.

/ tire ballast #7  
Never said it was a problem just part of the deal. I run the LS with a backhoe installed 80 to 90% of the time, give up some speed for stability. Besides it comes in handy when I do run out traction.

/ tire ballast #8  
Never too much tire ballast for added traction and stability. Add spacers too.
3 Tractors and 25 yrs I never ran without it.

/ tire ballast #9  
What's all this talk about traction? The op's CK27 has 28 engine hp. CK27's come standard with front wheel assist. He will never need fluid in the tires for traction. Different tires maybe but not fluid.

Edited to add that CK27's weigh more than 3000 lbs just the way they are.

For me the biggest downside to fluid other than the fact that you don't need it is the fact that it is always there. You can never remove it like you can a weight box or cast iron wheel weights.

If you are looking for stability a weight box with lots of weight carried down low will be considerably more stable than fluid in the tires.

Last edited:
   / tire ballast #10  
What's all this talk about traction? The op's CK27 has 28 engine hp. CK27's come standard with front wheel assist. He will never need fluid in the tires for traction. Different tires maybe but not fluid.
So i do see merit in your points about it being 4wd and 3000lbs+ and a 3pt weight box, but the fact remains that IF: you ever sit there spinning 3 out of 4 tires (or 4 if you're lucky!), THEN: adding hundreds more lbs of weight in the rear tires WILL move that threshold up a bit and give you more pulling/pushing power than you had before.

So it comes down to "need" vs "want" or "could make use of". IF he ever maxes out current traction, more weight will help. It's mostly down to how he uses it.

Generally speaking, the smaller the machine the more it needs the weight gain. On my tiny tiny B6100 tractor, when i needed replacement rear tires i made the rear tires larger mostly so i could fit more liquid inside them! My slightly less small B8200 with 12.4-16 filled rear tires and a 1000lb backhoe on it, acts like a bulldozer when pushing compared to what a 'bare' B8200 would do. I think when you get up into the 50+hp tractors you don't see filled tires as often because they just don't need it as much.