Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket?

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #1  

p0opstlnksal0t

Silver Member
Tractor
in the market
Would a tine grapple be as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? I found a used one locally for a good price it's a pretty heavy duty built unit I believe it weighs over 1000lbs I've got an m5-111 with la1854 loader

Attachments

• X-Tine-Grapple.jpg
    X-Tine-Grapple.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 67
   / Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #2  
Depending on price, I'd buy it for a tractor your size

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #3  
Would a tine grapple be as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? I found a used one locally for a good price it's a pretty heavy duty built unit I believe it weighs over 1000lbs I've got an m5-111 with la1854 loader

You can always weld a plate across or bar between the tines. Add gussets to act as 'teeth'.

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #4  
The round tube welded ~8” in-between the teeth/times of the long bottom root grapple acts as guide to control the tooth depth when raking the ground depending on the tilt angle. Also handy chaining to lift stuff.

For sticky stuff like manure with bedding straight tines work best but don’t really need a grapple.

Any grapple is better than no grapple.

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #5  
If you are interested on the weight. There are product ID stickers on the top of the rams. I can't read them. Look it up on the internet and get the exact weight. My Land Pride SGC 1560 weighs 820# and is no problem for my M6040. I pick and move large rocks with mine. Up to around 3000# - plus or minus. On a rock lift/move - I NEVER get the grapple/rock more than 6" off the ground. It's called - knuckle dragging. Same when I lift/move large chunks of pine log. The closer to the ground - the more you can lift. Within reason.

Kind of depends upon the tine spacing and the size rocks you will be dealing with. Just be very certain the the grapple attachment hardware is compatible with whatever you have on your FEL. You can always add something across the tines to handle smaller rocks.

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket?
I'll probably get some custom hoses made up for the rear remotes to run to the front

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #7  
To answer your question, no. Specialty grapple. Root and log grapples work best for rocks, roots, brush and logs. Curved plate tines, serrated teeth and geometry works best for that task. You do need skidsteer quality and strength for your size tractor.

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #8  
This is my Land Pride SGC 1560 rock & root grapple. You can see the difference Smokeydog is talking about.
IMG_0001.jpeg

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket? #9  
ALSO - no matter what grapple you finally get - consider, seriously, doing something like this to your grill guard. Sticks, stobs & limbs can do major damage to your grill, radiator & battery. As you can see, the OEM grill guard is just a frame. Good, only, for stopping garbage cans and other items that size.
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Tine grapple as useful as a root rake or rock grapple bucket?
thanks folks, i think ill keep on the lookout for an actual root rake/grapple for my needs