Time to start the garden...

/ Time to start the garden... #1  

MF243RedTop

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 243
Sliced the entire spot with the subsoiler first.. then put the JD bottom plows to work .
The hardpan wouldn't let me go as deep as I wanted to the last time I rolled it over .. well I could stop the tractor this time if I wanted to with the bottom plows..
Beer time 🙂
IMG_20230303_182651492_HDR.jpg

/ Time to start the garden... #2  
What's the story on lighter colored soil in spots and how does it effect plants?

/ Time to start the garden... #3  
That is sandy loam just like what we have up here. I'm not even thinking about a garden yet, we have about a foot of snow on the ground presently.

/ Time to start the garden...
What's the story on lighter colored soil in spots and how does it effect plants?
Sandy clay soil/hardpan below the black silt topsoil .. area hasn't been broke for several years and the hardpan was creeping up. It's in a relatively low spot that's been built up over time .. hardpan is close to the top of soil ..

Just add lime and potash as needed... Breaking hardpan helps keep moisture to plants in dry times.

Last edited:
Decided it was time to trash the old 20 gauge aluminum electric fence wire.. deer were tearing down constantly... It had done served it's purpose for many years .
Went with 12.5 gauge high tensile fence this time... Constructed a little homemade spinning jenny out of just some 2x6, angle, pipe, shaft and some small scrap plate ..
Worked great..

Screwed it down to the back of the golf bed...
IMG_20230311_162525987.jpg

Wow, I'll be dropping seed later this month or first April .. just got a little rain yesterday on the garden after the bottom plow and harrows.. were still getting some near frost temps here at night but 60---70's during the day.. S GA ..

Got 5 strands up and slightly tensioned... Need to wait for my new corner posts to set up a bit more before tensioning it on up
IMG_20230311_181612835_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230311_181517085_HDR.jpg

Got flagging tape on all 4 sides.. I've found this to be as effective as those that run 2 different rows of fence for deer since they have no depth perception... Has worked very well in the past ... if you don't mind the look ... Cheap easy and effective.

The slightest wind movement and the tape flutters in the wind ..
IMG_20230326_183948262_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230326_183742394_HDR.jpg