Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog?

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #1  

Elton67

Tractor
couple kubotas, an old deere,and some junk
All 3 are reputable brands for sure, but im curious about your thoughts considering i cannot find youtube videos and reviews on the dual spindle, 10 foot cutter from these brands.

here are the 3 specific models:

Woods DS10.5 10' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 2937 ibs, and blade speed 15,974 fpm
$12,400
closest dealer is my john deere dealer about 30 mins away.

Bush Hog 3510 10.5' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 2900 ibs. and blade speed 16,881 fpm
-$14500
i actually have about 4 dealers within around an hours drive.

Rhino Tr310, 10' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 3100 ibs, blade speed 16,215 fpm
-$16500
closest dealer about an hour and a half drive.

The Rhino is obviously the most expensive, also being around 200 ib more than the other two. the bush hog is oddly the lightest, but it also has an extra 6 inches and has a noticeably higher blade tip speed, which actually bumps up to around 17,400 fpm when using a 1000 rpm PTO. whether this would make a difference in the cut quality id have to find out.
I plan to use mostly on horse and cow pastures, shredding corn stalks, and taking down random brush and other odd jobs when needed. i think the 3" cutting capacity wont give me any issues for anything i might be cutting. anything thicker than that a chainsaw or an axe would be used anyway.

i dont mind driving the distance and paying the money to get the rhino as long as its really worth the 16 and a half gs and i wont be constantly bringing it back with problems. im slightly leaning towards the bush hog because of its slightly larger deck and higher blade speed, not to mention its so reputable most have taken to calling any cutter a bush hog. but im a little concerned that it weighs 200 ibs less than the rhino and even less than the cheaper woods which makes me wonder of they skimped out of some heavy duty parts for cheaper ones... probably not the case tho. i have heard mixed things about the woods line of hogs but it seems like a good budget option, yet a solid cutter.

what are your thoughts?

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #2  
All are probably great units. Woods sounds best to me.

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #3  
See if the Woods has the "quick change" blade pins. I am not sure if that's the correct name for them. The blade pin has plate with hole like a figure eight that engages a groove on the blade pin. Then there is a small piece that goes in the other 1/2 of the figure eight and blots to the cross bar with a 1/2" bolt. EASY blade changes!
If the Woods had that feature it would be my choice. I heard that Woods has made this pin greaseable too.

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #4  
I think I'd save the money and just buy a good 6' or 7' and be done. We have cows and pastures and all that good jazz. Have had a 10' for years and have seen it used two times. We have a Rhino 6' with the 105 hp gearbox and see it used all the time. Same at the farm I worked at yesterday. Has a 10' that has sat for years. Has a 6' Bush Hog that's most always on the tractor. You can buy a good cutter used for less than a grand. I can make a few extra passes for $15,000.00 and still feel good. If you haul it somewhere to use it, I'll probably keep up with you or even beat you time wise. Because I can just back mine off the trailer and go to cutting. You can't. We can leave the wall marks parking lot and return to the wall marks parking lot when finished. Plus tractor will cut better with smaller hog. Means I can travel faster and do as good a job as you are doing. I know people with thousands of cattle and acres. Throw a few donkeys in the mix. We do have to cut one lease. Just go around the fence and keep it from growing up. But 6' is fine for that. If I need to cut a pasture, I cut it with a hay mower, not a Bush Hog. I used one in heavy grass once. Twisted all the drive shafts like a screw. Last one I ever touched. Massey 1455 open station and 10' cutter. We had a Minneapolis Moline and a 7' but no, he wanted to use the 10' and I did. It was a 200 acre dairy he bought to turn into a subdivision. Then you had all them sewer perk test flags to watch out for, it was a mess.

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #5  
All 3 are reputable brands for sure, but im curious about your thoughts considering i cannot find youtube videos and reviews on the dual spindle, 10 foot cutter from these brands.

here are the 3 specific models:

Woods DS10.5 10' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 2937 ibs, and blade speed 15,974 fpm
$12,400
closest dealer is my john deere dealer about 30 mins away.

Bush Hog 3510 10.5' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 2900 ibs. and blade speed 16,881 fpm
-$14500
i actually have about 4 dealers within around an hours drive.

Rhino Tr310, 10' deck, 10 guage steel, 3" cutting capacity, 3100 ibs, blade speed 16,215 fpm
-$16500
closest dealer about an hour and a half drive.

The Rhino is obviously the most expensive, also being around 200 ib more than the other two. the bush hog is oddly the lightest, but it also has an extra 6 inches and has a noticeably higher blade tip speed, which actually bumps up to around 17,400 fpm when using a 1000 rpm PTO. whether this would make a difference in the cut quality id have to find out.
I plan to use mostly on horse and cow pastures, shredding corn stalks, and taking down random brush and other odd jobs when needed. i think the 3" cutting capacity wont give me any issues for anything i might be cutting. anything thicker than that a chainsaw or an axe would be used anyway.

i dont mind driving the distance and paying the money to get the rhino as long as its really worth the 16 and a half gs and i wont be constantly bringing it back with problems. im slightly leaning towards the bush hog because of its slightly larger deck and higher blade speed, not to mention its so reputable most have taken to calling any cutter a bush hog. but im a little concerned that it weighs 200 ibs less than the rhino and even less than the cheaper woods which makes me wonder of they skimped out of some heavy duty parts for cheaper ones... probably not the case tho. i have heard mixed things about the woods line of hogs but it seems like a good budget option, yet a solid cutter.

what are your thoughts?
You're going to pay 16 grand for a rotary cutter? OK. Are you mowing for the highway department?

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #6  
I purchased a 6ft cutter last year and considered the same 3 brands. I ended up going with the rhino. I wasn't able to compare them in person but the rhino seemed to be the most heavy duty option and once received I wasn't disappointed. One of the biggest selling points to me was the blade carrier rhino uses which is a solid cast iron dog bone versus the steel pan style used on the others. I have the TW36

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #7  
John Deere

1650503244264.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #8  
I was looking at those units and the Land Pride RCF3610. Oh, and I even looked at the BW12 from Woods. I was getting myself ready to pay those prices, when I found a nice used 10' RCF3610. I can't really find many differences that "matter" between them except quick blade change. But for me, that's a once every 10-15 year event anyhow.

Here's some video of my "new" unit.

Good luck in your decision!

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog? #9  
Make sure they are all equipped the same when considering the price, chains front and rear, slip clutch or shear pin.

I narrowed my choices a year or two back to the same brands but for a 5' cutter, around me the Bush hog was slightly cheaper than the other 2 when equipped identically and the Bush Hog dealer was closer so it became an easy choice.

/ Time to kick the hornets nest... bush hog, rhino, or woods 10' Brush hog?
Make sure they are all equipped the same when considering the price, chains front and rear, slip clutch or shear pin.

I narrowed my choices a year or two back to the same brands but for a 5' cutter, around me the Bush hog was slightly cheaper than the other 2 when equipped identically and the Bush Hog dealer was closer so it became an easy choice.
are you happy with your bush hog?

one of the things im trying to find is a bush hog that doesnt leave windrows of grass, looking for one that distributes it relatively evenly.
its not a suer important thing but i would like my pastures to look relatively nice :)

do you think a 7' cutter in general would cut better than a multispindle 8' or 10'? and is the difference in ground coverage noticeable?

I have a bunch of pastures for different animals ranging from 1 acre to 5 acres each. in total its around 31 acres of pasture that i mow about 3-5 times a year.
that doesnt include randome land clearing or field mowing projects that may come up.

currently i have an older 6' cutter, it can handle amost everything I throw at it but in total it takes about 4 days mowing 3-4 hours a day to cut all the pastures.

I enjoy mowing quite a bit but i could really use more time for other tasks and projects. im looking to decrease my pasture mowing time from 15-16 hours in a week to 8-12 hours in a week. im open to any suggestions.