Time to Brushhog a meadow

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
Does anyone have any "real-world" times to brushhog a meadow? I've been asked to help a neighbor with a wildlife habitat practice where he needs to brushhog a meadow once every 2 years. We've already cleared the random rocks, logs, etc. which would be a hazard to mowing. The area is still fairly rough (not a lawn by any stretch of the imagination), so mowing speeds will be moderate. There are still a few obstacles to mow around, but we don't need to worry much about cleaning up the mowing around them. Still, there will be a bit of back-and-forth and extra manuevering.

I know how to calculate a theoretical time. Figuring a 4 foot swath cut with my 5 foot brush mower: 4 ft X 5280 ft/mile X mowing speed in MPH = square feet/hour mowed. Divide that by 43,560 sq ft/acre should give me acres per hour.

However, I've never actually timed myself to see how the real world compares to the formula. I'm guessing I'd be going around 2.5 MPH through this heavy 2 year growth. Sound reasonable? (27 HP at PTO on my tractor). That gives 1.2 acres per hour from the formula, but I'm pretty sure that similar small meadows I've mowed take significantly longer than this.

Hoping some of you have real-world comparisons

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #2  
medow... like wild flowers, golden rod, grasses.... no saplings/sage brush etc...

i think one of the bigger issues youll have to deal with is stoping frequently to clean the front screen so you dont overheat in tall stuff like that

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #3  
It sounds like the mowing that I mostly do. I'm mowing waist high thick grass and small saplings, with a few trees and stuff to go around. I average right about 1 acre per hour. FYI, I'm using a 35 HP Kubota with a 5' rough mower as well.

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #4  
How big is the area in question?

About all I can add is try to make longer runs with broader turns to keep down time wasted while turning around.

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #5  
I use a quick formula that I took from a GoodYear tire add published in Successful Farming Magazine years ago.

Inches of implement width (working width, allowing for overlap) X mph divided by 100 +acres per hour. To account for wasted motion (ie time turning, wheel spin with tillage equipment, ect) add percentage of inefficiency (estimated) to "100". (ie 10% wasted motion = 110)

It works well enough to estimate time with-in a very close percentage and it's quick/easy.

I've used it for years with fairly accurate results.

For "real world", I use 6', 7', and 15' mowers. The 6'ers would relate best to your 5'er.

I mow in one of 2 gears usually. Lower one is 4.1 mph. Faster is 5.0.

With a 6' mower, I cover about 2- 2.1 in the lower range and 2.5-2.6 acres per hour in higher gear.

Last edited:
   / Time to Brushhog a meadow #6  
one to 1.5 hours per acre unless it is smooth and no obstacles and then more like an hour per acre.

I also run a 5 foot cutter and a 30 HP tractor. Usually closer to 1.5 hours per acre in similar meadow stuff. I am never limited by available power unless on a steep hill but by the bounciness of the field.

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #7  
John_Mc said:
I know how to calculate a theoretical time. Figuring a 4 foot swath cut with my 5 foot brush mower: 4 ft X 5280 ft/mile X mowing speed in MPH = square feet/hour mowed. Divide that by 43,560 sq ft/acre should give me acres per hour.

However, I've never actually timed myself to see how the real world compares to the formula. I'm guessing I'd be going around 2.5 MPH through this heavy 2 year growth. Sound reasonable? (27 HP at PTO on my tractor). That gives 1.2 acres per hour from the formula, but I'm pretty sure that similar small meadows I've mowed take significantly longer than this.

Hoping some of you have real-world comparisons

Afternoon John,
The last time I mowed the field on the right side of my driveway, which is about 5 acres, using a 5 ft Bushog, tractor has 28 PTO Hp I averaged about 1.5 acres per hour. The grasses were about waste high and as you can see in the attached pic Im pulling some fairly steep slopes on the lower end of the field. I have a geared machine, and run fourth gear in mid range which is about 3.8 mph. Hope that helps ! I thing you would probablly be mowing about similar stuff as me, your about 1 1/2 hrs north of me maybe slightly less.

Attachments

• Mowin.jpg
    Mowin.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 537
   / Time to Brushhog a meadow #8  
Agree with everyone, but would add one condition.......since this is your first time hogging this area it will probably take you longer than "normal" so I would estimate higher. You'll be going slower to watch out for holes; rocks; etc...and learning the best way to mow it with your tractor and equipment.

Second, third, fourth; etc.. times to cut it you will begin to see improvements in your mowing times as you become familiar with the acreage and know all the hazzards.

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow
Thanks for the quick responses. It seems the range from people with similar equipment is from 0.67 acres per hour (1.5 hours per acre) up to 1.5 acres per hour.

I've already mowed the 2 acre area last August, but did not keep track of time. We were also stopping to clear rocks and stumps with the loader or backhoe, so time was a good bit longer than I expect in the future. It's already over waist high, but not chest high yet.

FarmWithJunk, your formula ends up with just about identical numbers to the one I was using, but yours is much simpler. Thanks for spreading the word.

On thinking about it, I'm betting I go more than the 2.5 MPH I indicated earlier. I'm in mid range (out of 3 ranges) on a NH TC33D... but it's hydrostatic, so speed is still a guess. Faster than a relaxed walking speed, anyway. But with some thrown in for inefficiencies and manuevering, I'm going to guess I can do a bit over an acre an hour, and see how it comes out.

John Mc

/ Time to Brushhog a meadow #10  
If you can get it done in an hour and a half, I'd be suprised. Not that it's not possible, but because it's been two years of growing and it's gonna be really thick. Without seeing it, I'd had some to that and figure two hours per acre to get it all down, and probably another half hour going over it again to chop off the standing stalks and clumps of material that will stand up again after you've mowed.

Cleaning the screen on the radiator will take some time too. Just keep an eye on your temp gauge.

Eddie