Time for a new trailer

/ Time for a new trailer #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
I recently sold my 18' 10k gown Andersen beaver tail trailer. Had it for about 10-12 years and although it was still a solid hauler, it was not HD enough to legally carry the mini x or skid. I'm looking at 14k gown options and really considering a aluminum or galvanized trailer this time. A few years ago I had the Andersen blasted and painted and some rusty fenders repaired.. to the tune of 1500.00. Figure the galvy or aluminum would eliminate that future expense. I like the split deck tilts.. but the fenders inevitably get in the way sooner or later. I think I may try a deck over this time. Anyone have experience with galvy or aluminum deck overs ?

/ Time for a new trailer #2  
Aluminum is more expensive up front, and it doesn't take a beating very well. So if you're planning on using your trailer to haul misc stuff other than rubber tracked or rubber tired equipment, the bed is going to get beat up.

Deck overs are handy for hauling palletized or other general freight, even if you don't need the extra width for backhoes and ex's. Nice to be able to forklift pallets off of the entire side of the trailer. I think if I ever replace my current 18' flatbed, I'll go with a 24' goose deck over.

Tilt beds are nice if you're only moving powered equipment. If you ever have to move a dead tractor, or vehicle, they become a real pain in the ***. With the nature of the tilting bed, it becomes difficult to winch something dead up the deck of the trailer. Had many drag racing friends back when I raced with tilt bed trailers. They were great until it came time to get a broken race car back on it's trailer.

/ Time for a new trailer #3  
What is gown?

I googled 14k gown and wedding dresses came up.

/ Time for a new trailer #4  
I disagree with slim about tilt beds. I've owned a tilt bed for the past 12 years and find they work great. No ramps to lift or swing down. Tilt bed angle is only about 12-15 degrees and dead vehicles winch up very easy and I've hauled many dead vehicles. I also have a remote control so I can drive a vehicle on and tilt the bed back down before getting out.

One friend has an aluminum trailer. Says he doesn't like it because he claims the aluminum corrodes with the salt used on the roads here in winter. I don't know anyone with a galvanized trailer.

My current trailers are a 14K PJ tilt that is powder coated and a 14k Cross Country dump that is painted. Both are only 3 years old but holding up very well. I don't use them much in winter and in summer I wash them off dirt / mud after each use. Eventually I will have to blast and repaint the trailers. Previous ones owned I did about every 5-6 years.

I also don't know what a gown trailer is.

/ Time for a new trailer #5  
I'm thinking his spell checker turned "GVW" into "gown"

/ Time for a new trailer #6  
That is what I thought also.

enema.jpg

/ Time for a new trailer #7  
The dealer that delivered my tractor used a "deck over, split deck" trailer. Not sure of the brand, but I remember thinking, "I am going to get one just like that when I can afford it". I think if you are ever worried about having to get a dead tractor/car on it then install a winch. My trailer is a 16' "Innovative trailer." Nice trailer but a pain in the butt for loading hay or accessing the sides with pallet forks.

/ Time for a new trailer #8  
The only thing I have noticed about tilt deck's, at least in deck over's, is that the axle's seem to be pushed up towards the front for a lower tilt angle. If I'm hauling extra bucket's or attachments, they need to go on first, putting the tractor or SS towards the back. I don't like to worry about weight dist. on the trailer and with a long wb, that's not a concern. I do hate ramps though:D