Tilt wheel problem

/ Tilt wheel problem #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
My tilt steering wheel on my TC33D is just flopping around, wont lock and the little shock has leaked all its fluid out.

I got the 2 top hex screws out of the little shock but I cant get to the bottom pin without taking off some more parts.

I found some post where others have had this same problem but I didnt find any info about how to remove that little shock.

Anyone had their little shock off? Can you tell me what all has to be removed to get to that bottom pin?

Where do you get a replacement shock, I am sure the dealer will want too much for it?
mtnman

/ Tilt wheel problem
Update:
I bought a new gas shock from the dealer and installed it.
It was about 2 hours work total taking the old one off and putting the new one on.
The new shock was $108. He said it was a new and better design than the OEM.
The dealer said there were no recalls on the shock although he sells 1 a month.
sherpa

/ Tilt wheel problem #3  
sherpa,

108 bucks....that's CHEAP. Consider yourself lucky. I believe it was jinman that had to replace his a few years back & shelled out 300 US Dollars to replace his shock for a Class III Boomer. (TC45D)

Here in Canada, I would'nt be surprised if that same part for a TC33D was'nt 2 to $300 Canadian. For my TC35D I am probably looking at between $450 to $550 Canadian just based on US Price.

So I think you did rather well.

Vic

/ Tilt wheel problem #4  
Remember to keep it lubed on the top where the plunger is that is activated by the tilt wheel handle.

/ Tilt wheel problem #5  
108 bucks....that's CHEAP. Consider yourself lucky. I believe it was jinman that had to replace his a few years back & shelled out 300 US Dollars to replace his shock for a Class III Boomer. (TC45D)

Vic, it wasn't me who replaced the shock. I've had to take mine out and loosen the plunger, but so far the shock has not self-destructed. It's getting to be problematic again, so it's time for me to do the repair again before it gets too bad.

/ Tilt wheel problem #6  
My TC29D is a 2001 and I always worried about having to replace my shock as I heard there was problems with them. But so far ok.

murph