tilling with 12x12 gears

/ tilling with 12x12 gears #1  

drg

Is the low gear on the 12x12 low enough to do ground tilling? Or is frequent clutching needed to keep the speed slow?

/ tilling with 12x12 gears #2  
It would really depend upon your PTO hp and the size of your tiller as well as how deep you plan to till. It could be plenty fine, or it could be an issue. Please let us know what your PTO hp is, how large of a tiller you plan to use, and how deep you'd like to till.

/ tilling with 12x12 gears
I'm considering the 3510 for the tractor..the tiller will probably be 4 ft..I hear all the raves for the hst, but I'm kinda of a gear head myself. Just wanting to hear any experiences from those using the gear model

/ tilling with 12x12 gears #4  
MF, not Mahindra, but 12X12; 4 hi, 4 lo, 4 creep. I bought a Howse 70" tiller last summer and have used it extensively since. Most of my tilling has been in first gear low range, with some in second low range. I've never felt the need to use the creeper range with the tiller. Perhaps if the ground was extremely dry and hard I would need the creeper range, but I don't generally try to work the ground in that situation as it doesn't do well then. The only clutching involved is starting or stopping at the end of the row. Your gear speeds may be different from mine, but I suspect they are very similar.
Regarding horsepower, I've never sensed that my tiller was loading my tractor at all. It seems to me that the weight of the tiller might be more of a limiting factor than PTO HP in many cases. Mine weighs in at about 825lbs (if I recall correctly) which would be prohibitive on some smaller tractors that had the HP to till with it.

/ tilling with 12x12 gears #5  
I have a 6' Maschio tiller, and the JD 4600 I had would not run my tiller. I don't recall what hp a JD 4600 is, but it would have required constant clutching even in the lowest gear to keep it from bogging down while trying to till at only 6" deep in my hard clay soil. The Kubota 5030 I have now seems to turn the tiller fine all the way down to 8" or so. It is a hydro drive and has more hp though.

I would think that 30 hp PTO should turn a 48" tiller fine in most cases with no problem in a gear tractor. At worst, you may have to make a shallow pass followed up with a deeper pass.

/ tilling with 12x12 gears #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm considering the 3510 for the tractor..the tiller will probably be 4 ft.. )</font>

A 4' tiller is to small for that machine. I would go with at least a 5'.
Being able to run a 6' tiller would depend on how low your gearing is.