tig welding setup

/ tig welding setup #1  

missourihick

Bronze Member
Tractor
IH560,ford2N ,H farmall and looking for more
I have been looking at ebay for a tig setup and have had no luck. I want one! Anybody here know where else to look for one used. By the way I have a power source all I need is the convertor box and torch. I like to build all sorts of things and a tig would be just the ticket.I have a few a/c and d/c stick jobs and a couple different mig's but I have always wanted a tig.

/ tig welding setup #2  
The one I used at my previous job was simply the handle with cord and air line connected to a flow control for the argon. It was only about 120 bucks I think. The voltage came off the dc stick welder. I learned to weld stainless milk line with it by setting up the purge lines in the pipe, welding and then cutting off the weld to inspect the inside. Downside was that I would have preferred a lower setting than I could get with the arc welder sometimes for really thin material, but upside was that it was way cheaper than a dedicated setup and we always had the stick welder on the job with us anyway.

/ tig welding setup
Do you have any idea were to get one for $120 or whatever price.I'm sure it'll be alot more,but where?

/ tig welding setup #4  
A couple of years ago I bought a used oxy-acet torch out of a place in Burlington IA. I'm sorry I can't recall the name of it but information may get you the phone number. The guy was super reasonable and even delivered it to me and I'm 45mi east of there. As I recall they carried a full line of welding supplies and often had used equipment that had been traded in on new.

/ tig welding setup #5  
any welding supply house should be able to sell you the attachment. it's simply a air cooled add on tig. but it's scratch start, and doesn't have high frequency, so no alum, or mag. welding. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ tig welding setup
I never heard of one like that. I want a hi frequency setup.That's what I learned to weld aluminum with.

/ tig welding setup #7  
I have a jerry rigged tig set up. It consists of an air cooled two hundred amp torch, scratch start, Miller high frequency box, argon tank, and I use my Miller 300 Amp Dialarc for a power source.

The high freq box came in via trade. I bought the argon tank. And I bought the torch. I've had the Dialarc for some years.

But if you're going on the cheap and don't have a stupid friend with a tig to sell you've got a couple of other options on aluminum. One would be the aluminum rods for arc welding. I hear they're okay to good now a days. Two would be the little acetylene torch, heck, I've got one, oldtimers grabbed the memory buttons one more time, starts with an R if I remember right. It works too on aluminum, better on steel. There's also that welder for about five hundred they sell that is like a spool gun that runs off two car batteries. It really works good......for some folks, got one of those too. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ tig welding setup #8  
The torch is now called a Henrob and is available through eastwood.

For the life of me I cannot remember the original name.

While it looks great in the advertisements, I was never able to make it work like the guys doing the Demo's, but then again, I could never make a shopsmith work like the guy demoing them at the mall, or my pots and pans or the Ginsu knife, well, you get the point.

Ahhh, there we go, it was called a Dillon I believe and looked like a pistol.

And more to the point, both Miller and Lincoln have some nice smaller full tilt TIG machines available at reasonable prices.

/ tig welding setup #9  
SIR,
you do not say what the amps output on the power supply.
i think this would make a difference if you would need an air
cooled torch, or a water cooled one. i have a miller econotig
the max is about `165 amps, and the torch is air cooled, but
it has worked well for me. suggest you try a search on
WELDCRAFT, and see what they have. there is a weld supply
company in illinois, i cannot remember their name. will ask my
buddy who lives in madison, and see if he can tell me. will get back
to you on this.
accordionman
wlbrown
wright city, mo.

/ tig welding setup #10