Buying Advice Tier 4 filter costs

/ Tier 4 filter costs #1  

olskool350

Tractor
2015 McCormick X1.45C
Hi, I'm new to site and am currently shopping for a tractor. The model I am almost decided on is the McCormick X1.45C. My only concern is the cost associated with replacing the Diesel Particulate Filter. The dealer said they have not had to replace one and can only speculate on costs. Does anyone have an idea on the cost for this and how many hours this maintenance is recommended? Thanks.

/ Tier 4 filter costs #2  
So they are telling you they don't know the parts cost? I'd sure tell them if they intend to sell the tractors, they better have that answer on hand.
Sounds like they are hiding the answer. It has to be a phone call away for them. If not, how are they ever going to get replacements when needed if they can't even get a price.
That should go for all manufacturers. I am not bagging on McCormick. It is just an answer they should have on hand.

/ Tier 4 filter costs
So they are telling you they don't know the parts cost? I'd sure tell them if they intend to sell the tractors, they better have that answer on hand.
Sounds like they are hiding the answer. It has to be a phone call away for them. If not, how are they ever going to get replacements when needed if they can't even get a price.
That should go for all manufacturers. I am not bagging on McCormick. It is just an answer they should have on hand.

Yeah, it does not seem like good business to have a "we don't know yet" answer. Another thing that has me hesitating on buying this model is that the 50-100 hour service requires all fluids and filters to be changed. It's a big cost fairly close to the time of purchase. This could be a good practice that rids all the contaminants from the break in period or an indication that they have a lesser grade gear oil and hydraulic fluid. The kubota and Kioti models I am looking at require only the engine oil and filter for the breaking service- according to the salesmen.
I have compared the Kubota L3560HST CC; L4060HST CC; Kioti DK45SE Cab (tier 3) and the McCormick X1.45C
The McCormick comes in 1st for the most bang for the buck. Kioti is best all around for features and cab layout, if only the dealer would drop a few thousand. Kubota has a luxury cab with a lot of nice features on their Hydrostatic, but are a little light on the loader and PTO pump flow.

/ Tier 4 filter costs #4  
Why would you have to replace it? The thing is burn proof because the diesel soot is burned off it. It doesn't have to be replaced. Or if it does, it's probably a thousand or two hours down the road.

Ralph

/ Tier 4 filter costs #5  
I would be very skeptical any dealer who does not know what it will cost you to operate the equipment you intend to buy.
As to durability of the filter. Any metal that is repeatedly heated and cooled will start to breakdown over time. Even stainless steel will breakdown after continuous heating and cooling.

Update: Found this info on Cummins website. "The Cummins Particulate Filter is designed to last the life of the engine. The after treatment is specially strengthened against high levels of vibration and shock loading."

I guess we will see.

/ Tier 4 filter costs #6  
Yeah, it does not seem like good business to have a "we don't know yet" answer. Another thing that has me hesitating on buying this model is that the 50-100 hour service requires all fluids and filters to be changed. It's a big cost fairly close to the time of purchase. This could be a good practice that rids all the contaminants from the break in period or an indication that they have a lesser grade gear oil and hydraulic fluid. The kubota and Kioti models I am looking at require only the engine oil and filter for the breaking service- according to the salesmen.
I have compared the Kubota L3560HST CC; L4060HST CC; Kioti DK45SE Cab (tier 3) and the McCormick X1.45C
The McCormick comes in 1st for the most bang for the buck. Kioti is best all around for features and cab layout, if only the dealer would drop a few thousand. Kubota has a luxury cab with a lot of nice features on their Hydrostatic, but are a little light on the loader and PTO pump flow.

A few thousand spread out over the life of the tractor doesn't amount to a big difference in price. I suggest you get the tractor you feel most comfortable with. You also won't have to worry about replacing a particulate filter with the Kioti tier 3 motor.

The old McCormicks were rebadged Kioti tractors, but I've read in another post that the new McCormick X1 line are rebadged Branson tractors. This may explain why they still don't have final pricing on parts.
The particle filter should last at least 2000 to 3000 hours.

Let us know what you finally choose.

Take care

870Wing

/ Tier 4 filter costs
A few thousand spread out over the life of the tractor doesn't amount to a big difference in price. I suggest you get the tractor you feel most comfortable with. You also won't have to worry about replacing a particulate filter with the Kioti tier 3 motor.

The old McCormicks were rebadged Kioti tractors, but I've read in another post that the new McCormick X1 line are rebadged Branson tractors. This may explain why they still don't have final pricing on parts.
The particle filter should last at least 2000 to 3000 hours.

Let us know what you finally choose.

Take care

870Wing

Finally decided! I went with the McCormick X1.45C with loader, weight box for 3 point, 6ft bush hog , a quick attach bracket to adapt my 7 1/2 ft Fisher angle plow for the loader, and a set of chains for the rear tires. Got it Friday, just in time for snow storm on Saturday.

/ Tier 4 filter costs #9  
The DPF should be cleanable

No, it's not. The contents of the filter (not the reburn cannister) is considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of in an approved landfill. On a Class 8 Cummins ISX-C engine, the cannister must be split and the element replaced every 250 operating hours, with a reman element (cleaned of contaminants with a special $20,000.00 USD cleaning machine). Cost of the reman cannister cleaned is around 500 bucks. I'm sure it's less with a smaller engine but there is a cost associated with it.

Most DPF equipped Tier 4 final engines will tell you via a warning light, when it's time to changeout the filter and if you don't, it derates.

Bottom line is, to be green costs more money...... Thats the way it is. BTW, with the electronic emissions controls it's almost impossible to fool the system and oftentimes the dealer will have to reset the operating parameters so the engine will run again.

They got ya every which way.

/ Tier 4 filter costs #10  
Congadulations on the new tractor. When do we get to see pictures?

Take care

870Wing