Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing?

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
I was just using a box blade that I bought years ago when I had a John Deere 318 with a cat 0 three point. The box blade allow you to mount the pins facing in or facing out. I had to mount them facing in to fit the Cat 0 three point. Now I have a Kubota BX24 with a cat 1 three point. I can easily change the spacing of my arms with the aftermarket links I got from a member here.

So, the question. Is it better have the arms spread wider? What are the pros and cons of narrow versus wide spacing?

Doug in SW IA

Last edited:
   / Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #2  
A BX has a cat 1 3ph. You obviously need to buy cat 1 pins and point them out. But I’m skeptical that an implement designed for a cat 0 garden tractor is going to be heavy enough to be effective on even a sub compact tractor.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing?
I am abusing it somewhat. I have added some extra weight and it is doing a decent job for this project. The pins are the correct size. Don't remember if they came the correct size or I replaced them.

Doug in SW IA

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #4  
If you leave the pins pointing in, it will be easier to hook up and not have to adjust the sway chains every time you put it on/off.

If they point out, you have to adjust the sway chains every time. They are clear down there close to the ground and that is a pain getting to, for people that don't bend easily.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #5  
I was just using a box blade that I bought years ago when I had a John Deere 318 with a cat 0 three point. The box blade allow you to mount the pins facing in or facing out. I had to mount them facing in to fit the Cat 0 three point. Now I have a Kubota BX24 with a cat 2 three point. I can easily change the spacing of my arms with the aftermarket links I got from a member here.

So, the question. Is it better have the arms spread wider? What are the pros and cons of narrow versus wide spacing?

Doug in SW IA
Yeah kind of doubt the Cat 2 reference on any BX tractor.

Cat 2 is generally reserved for 3 point implements that weigh over 1000 lbs. I run 3 different Cat 2 implements and wider is always better as long as the 3 point arms don't contact the rear tires. The pin diameters are also larger on Cat 2 but it is possible to use reducers in the Arm eyelets.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing?
Yeah kind of doubt the Cat 2 reference on any BX tractor.
My bad, it is cat 1, just my clumsy fingers doing their own thing. I corrected the original post.

If you leave the pins pointing in, it will be easier to hook up and not have to adjust the sway chains every time you put it on/off.

If they point out, you have to adjust the sway chains every time. They are clear down there close to the ground and that is a pain getting to, for people that don't bend easily.
Making the sway adjustment is not an issue. I bought the three point stabilizers from Mark Hodge at StabilWorks where you just drop a pin in a hole, one of the better purchases I have made. Stabilworks: HOMEStabilworkshttps://www.stabilworks.rocks

Doug in SW IA

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #7  
If you run the box blade in the "pins out" configuration - it should make for a more stable, strong hook up.

A category 0 implement will be under considerable stress if used as a category 1 implement.

A true cat 2 implement can put damaging stresses on the BX 3-point system.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #8  
I run my pins to the inside and havent found any real ‘gotchas’ in the past year or two ive been doing it. My stabilizers go from the inside out so as said i dont really have to adjust them every time i do something, or not by much. If your stabilizers come in from the outside that would be opposite.

Another thing i like about having them face inward is its a lot easier to give the 3pt arms a swift kick from the outside towards the middle when needed. 😂

Youll have to stick to pins outward if you want to use a quick hitch.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #9  
If you run the box blade in the "pins out" configuration - it should make for a more stable, strong hook up.
I'm thinking the same thing. With the pins out, the configuration of the 3pt arms would be better triangulated and the arms would naturally want to ride at the base of the pins (stronger). I'm thinking the stabilizers are on the inside of the arms too so they too can keep the arms at the base of the pins.

/ Three point arms, wide or narrow spacing? #10  
Using my limited Geometry education, I can think of no difference. The implement doesn't care where the pins are located. The tractor doesn't care where the pins are located.

If you have both arms horizontal with the tractor, the implement will be horizontal with the tractor.

If pins out, it will require more adjustment of the tractor arms to get a specific effect on the tilt of the implement.

All that said, I like to see the swivels at the ends of the arms operating in the middle of their variation. No specific reason other than my OCDness. :)