Three function One lever Control valve ID

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I am looking for the proper name of a valveing system that will control 3 functions with just the pull of one lever. This type of valve is used on firewood processors to operate the logclamp, saw cylinder, and saw motor, with just the pull of the main controlvalve lever. The valve recieves full flow, but regulates the flow and pressure to each function by different flow rates and pressure settings. I need one, but dont know what its called and the folks on the other end of the phone just go Hun, what, never heard of such a thing?? I am hoping if I can give them the proper name for the valve, they might be able to find one for me.

Any help appreciated!

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #2  
I think it is a custom manifold with cartridge valves. A guy in the forestry forum built a processor with a valve like that. He worked with a hydraulic distributor to get it done. I just went to look and I see your post as well. Go to page 2 Blackfoot griz posted
"I built one and it seemed to take forever. There were a lot of do-overs during the process.
It can be really frustrating, but, when you finally get it dialed in and doing what it was intended to do, it is great!

Just curious. I am assuming you are using a Danfoss MG77 series for your saw motor. What PSI and GPM are you going to send to the saw motor? And, if I may ask how teeth on your sprocket?

With a little help from a hydraulic shop, I incorporated a one touch clamp/saw motor/saw cylinder function. Once you get the log to the stop, pull one lever the clamp comes down, the saw motor engages and the cylinder extends. I have a flow control incorporated on the saw cylinder so that I can adjust the cutting speed precisely. When the block is cut, push the same lever in, the saw stops the saw cylinder extends and the clamp goes up.

If I ever built another processor, I would do a lot of things differently, but I would do the one touch saw/clamp/saw cylinder again without hesitation."

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #3  
Sounds like a custom manifold with sequence control. Do you have a local hydraulic distributor with some application or engineering talent?

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #4  
I would think a group of proportional hyd valves and a digital controller and sensors located in strategic places could be installed and then the system could be tweaked to precise operations.

Different configurations could be implemented such as type of wood, diameter of the log, how much oil on the chain, length of cut, which wedge to select, etc.

You can do all that now with solenoid valves, lever valves, flow controls, divider circuits, timers, sensors, etc.

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID
Sunset, I have asked Blackfoot the name of the valve, but he doesnt know what it is called either. I am going to try and get a name and number from him as to where he purchased his valve. The hydraulic store I believe he said was located in Montana, but he didnt give a name of the company and Montana is a pretty big state to search for something when I dont even know what I am looking for. Are all those question in your post directed at me, or just quotes from Blackfoot giz's post on the forestry forum.
[ quote ] message being quoted [ /quote ], without the spaces between the [] will allow you to quote someone in bold so as to not be confuseing

Oldnslo, no, there isnt any hydraulic places close to me I can go to. I can get hoses made, but that is about it.

JJ, I actually was hopeing you would reply and maybe even give me a link where I could purchase what I am looking for. The system you decribed is a little more complicated than the one lever pull of the controlvalve function. Probably a lot more expensive as well. I think the valveing that Blackfoot used was only a couple or 3 hundred dollars.. I can do electric over hydraulic solenoid type valves and use lever or magnetic limit switches, Pressure switches and pressure reliefs, flow controls and such, but to many parts, to much plumbing and wireing and to many things that can fail. Actually, I think the valve I am wanting is some kind of divider valve as you suggested. I just have to figure out which one.

To answer some of the questions, the hydraulic saw motor is a rexroth, 2.5cuin motor.( much bigger than the danfoss77) It will be recieving 18+gpm at 2200psi. The motor will turn about 3150rpms. The same pump will be used to supply oil to the sawmotor, saw clamp and sawbar, which is why oil flow and pressure must be regulated independantly for each function. When control valve lever is operated, the clamp will engage the log to be sawed, holding it for cutting, then the saw motor will turn the sawchain and then the bar cylinder will slowly lower the bar into the log . Disengage the control valve lever and the motor stops, the saw bar raises and the log unclamps.

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #6  
Have you added up all the GPM's you will need for specific functions?

One such operation had three pumps on a 45 HP diesel engine and a large hyd tank.

That setup only pumped about 22 GPM at 3000 psi.

To pump about 40 GPM, at 3000 psi will require a 82 HP engine.

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID
JJ, I need 18.5 gpm to run the saw. Not all functions will be operating at the same time. I will also be using a 22gpm 2stage pump for splitting functions and another smaller 2-4 gpm pump to run the conveyor/log lift, or whatever other small cylinder needs I decide to add onto the machine. My motor will be a 58hp Isuzu diesel.

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #8  
Subscribed....

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #9  
How will you drive three separate pumps.

A good many of the wood processors will piggyback three pumps .

Your 58 HP could drive a 28 GPM pump, or pumps with a total capacity of 28.

/ Three function One lever Control valve ID #10  
How will you drive three separate pumps.

A good many of the wood processors will piggyback three pumps .

Your 58 HP could drive a 28 GPM pump, or pumps with a total capacity of 28.