Thoughts on new Ventrac 4520?

/ Thoughts on new Ventrac 4520?
So I got to spend a couple hours on the Ventrac yesterday using the tough cut mower. Got to say, very impressed with the tractor and the mower. I thought for those interested, I’d share my thoughts on a comparison to the other brush clearing/mowing options I have in my arsenal.

Bobcat T595 CTL 74hp/high flow with Eterra Typhoon 60” clearing mower. For heavy cutting and clearing, this thing is king. IMO it equates to a poor man’s forestry mulcher. I’ve taken 5-6“ trees down no problem. Being in an enclosed cab adds a degree of safety and comfort. Having the ability to lift the mower and drop cut from above makes tall, thick brush cutting easier and more productive. Like the Ventrac, having the mower in front of you makes the whole operation much more comfortable. Downsides are the tracks can make a mess and you really have to work at it to achieve and nice, even finished cut quality. It’s also not my favorite for cutting larger open areas.

JD 4066R Open Station 66hp/55 PTO hp with Woods 72” Brushbull brush hog (BB720X). This is a big, heavy machine capable of cutting almost anything you can drive over. The Woods cutter is extremely heavy and well-built. Prior to owning the Ventrac, this was my preferred machine for open field cutting. At 72” wide, 1 or 2 passes adequately opens up all my trails and roads. I have a hydraulic top-link that I run in float mode while mowing which adds to the cut quality, especially when mowing uneven areas. You still have the issue of running over grass and brush with weighted tires prior to cutting which affects cut quality. With the hydraulic top link to tilt the deck up, this is capable of some pretty impressive clearing when cutting backwards but I find it just too physically uncomfortable to do for very long. In dry conditions, I long for the comfort of a cab.

JD 2720 34 hp with JD 60” brush hog. This was my go to before getting the Bobcat and the 4066R. Very impressive little machine. For me, much easier to mow with in reverse than the 4066R. Without weighted tires, the forward mowing cut quality is better than the 4066R. I don’t really have much criticism of this machine. It‘s been a good one that still gets substantial use on our properties.

Now for the Ventrac. I really like the front mounted mower. Visibility and maneuverability are great…overall best of the group. Running in float mode (which is recommended by Ventrac), the cut quality of grass and light brush appears to be the best of the bunch. Running the dual wheels, there is very little turf damage done. I’m only talking from a couple hours of experience, but I feel in the ability to do heavy duty clearing work, it will probably be last in the group. Time may prove me wrong, but with other heavier duty options available to me, I can’t see beating it up. Not having the ability to significantly lift and tilt the deck (like with the Bobcat) further limits heavy clearing ability. I can easily say it will be my preferred machine for open field mowing and obviously any significant hillside or slope mowing. Also for light to medium underbrush work in the woods. I really like the Kubota gas engine…seems to have lots of power.

More to come as I get more time on it.

/ Thoughts on new Ventrac 4520? #32  
The large boughs I mentioned earlier were later followed by the falling of the source; a giant red oak (black oak) fell into my field from the property line. 64" across the butt at 4' up. I cut it up into chunks that would just barely fit into the power bucket. Even using full spring loaded assist, the powder bucket had to be tricked to lift the main trunk sections; alternating bucket roll back with lift and keeping Ventrac on the down hill side. I have the mid ballast kit its 4 weights, I have the 4 stock rear weights and my 8 tires each have 56 pounds of liquid ballast. When lifted to full height the rear tires were just barely in contact with Earth and even bounced up on occasion as I moved the wook back into the forest at the top of the field. That is impressive. But, the bucket with the Ventrac tooth bar will only skim top soil so far as digging goes, it will scoop up undistrubed subsoil of clay and shale.

prs