Thoughs on building new house or remodeling

/ Thoughs on building new house or remodeling #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
Just browsed Eddie's thread and thought Iwould throw some "thoughts to think" when building.

I bought an old shack and totally redid it reusing doors winding up with 28" doors

Think ahead for old age:

I am now caretaker for my disabled wife and due to narrow hallway, narrow doors etc. a gurney will not fit into the bedrooms or bath.

Doors should be at least 30" better would be 32".

Bathroom - Motorized wheelchairs such as the "Hovaround" need room to maneauver. I had the house evaluated for one and everything worked except the bath. Not enough room to turn it around once in (getting it in can be done but would take some skill). My bath _can_ be fixed the the sink cabinet will have to be moved a couple feet which is doeable but will require a bit of replumbing. The evaluator told me what clearance was needed but I have forgotten - quite a bit more than what one would think.

Entry - at least one 36" door. Fortunately I put them in when I put on an addition so once she is out of the interior rooms the gurnies work.

I screwed up big time by not buying a policy that would cover nursing homes and the like. Could have afforded it back when but for some reason the agents won't even talk to me now :).

Harry K