This years project for the children...pig?

/ This years project for the children...pig? #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
So I've got a little over an acre and my job moves me around a lot so I do as much with the children as possible to teach them about the good life. Last year we did Turkey's named Thanksgiving and Christmas. The one that made it tasted awesome and we had a great time from trying to keep the little buggers alive to the butchering. We keep a few chickens around when we can and always have at least a small garden.

Anyway this years project I'm considering a pig sense this is as much land as we've had in the last eight years. Questions for the pro's:
-How much room for a pin would it really need? (I know no grass will grow there again for quite some time, not worried about that)
-How long does it take to get from Bacon seed to Spit size?
-Any expenses I wouldn't expect like vet, meds, special feed?

Thanks for any input and here is last fall so you can see ages,
DSC_0081.jpg

/ This years project for the children...pig? #2  
We did that growing up, so this is from memory.

Not much room is needed, 20x20 should be sufficient. Just make sure there's shelter.
Should be "good enough" in two years tops.
Other than castration, nothing was done. Just feed them well and hose them off occasionally to check for any problems.

I expect to be lambasted with my out of date and incomplete knowledge :)

/ This years project for the children...pig? #3  
If you are looking to save money doing this,it ain't going to happen.Feed prices are thru the roof.If you are trying to give the kids a life lesson,more power to you.And yes we have raised pigs,cows,chickens,turkeys ect.
I raise 1500 pheasant a year,last year's feed bill was $5300.

/ This years project for the children...pig? #4  
I raised a pig or two when I was a kid for FFA; the 20X20 pen sounds about right, I also had a shed. Piglets don't do well in the winter without shelter. As I recall, I bought corn chop and hog pellets; put the corn in a small barrel the day before with some water; added all the table scraps and such to the barrel and let it ferment over night. Seems that they digest the corn better if you soak it overnight; and it does ferment over time. Seems like the only vet bills were for worming and removing the tusks, but I believe the people I bought them from took care of that. Be careful though; pigs are extremely intelligent and they become very domesticated, just like a dog. Slaughter can be a very traumatic time when they are hand raised. My brother and I used to try to ride them when they got big; no way.

You might contact your local county agent and/or your local FFA/VoAg instructor for advice and for local sources. I prefered the Berkshires. Good luck.

/ This years project for the children...pig? #5  
Everyone I've talked to said if you get one, you gotta get two. Something along the lines of they don't do well flying solo.. Maybe just hear-say, but heads up anyway..

/ This years project for the children...pig? #6  
Yep... you need two otherwise, you won't have a runt.

mark

/ This years project for the children...pig? #7  
I've raised a few pigs, starting with the one I caught in the greased pig contest at the fair in 4-H.

If you get a feeder pig, around 35-45 pounds, it should be at market weight ~220-230 pounds in about 7 months easy. Males should already be castrated when you get them since it's done at a young age. An important consideration is how you will butcher, or get the pig to the butcher. They need to arrive at a licensed slaughter house alive and well if you go that route.

They will get tame as said and very friendly if treated well. They will follow you around like a dog. One pig we had did like to run with the dog. They are social/herd animals and probably do better with another pig. One will be the boss.

20x20 is plenty. They need shelter from all weather extremes: wet, wind, sunburn, heat and cold. That really depends on your climate.

/ This years project for the children...pig?
If you are looking to save money doing this,it ain't going to happen.Feed prices are thru the roof.If you are trying to give the kids a life lesson,more power to you.

I here you! I don't even think about how many 50# bags of feed went into our turkeys. It's the second part I'm after, and I just can't put a price on that.

An important consideration is how you will butcher, or get the pig to the butcher. They need to arrive at a licensed slaughter house alive and well if you go that route.

Good info there, we've got a processor about 10 min away I was planning to use. Getting a pig there alive might be an adventure...

Thanks, all and keep the advice comming.

/ This years project for the children...pig? #9  
Don't name the pig.

Unless you plan on keeping it for a pet.

/ This years project for the children...pig? #10  
We raise about 8-10 piglets to market weight each year, and I have to disagree that you can't save money doing it. For the most recent batch of pigs we did, our total cost per-pig, including slaughter and butchering, was about $300. That's for approximately 135 lbs of meat in the freezer, or about $2.22 / lb average over all the cuts. The last time I surveyed the grocery store (which I do from time to time just to compare my prices to theirs), I came out at an average of around $3 / lb. So not only is my meat worlds better than grocery store meat, it's cheaper too. That is, of course, if you don't count the value of my labor, which I don't, because raising pigs is more of a hobby than a business to me. And bear in mind that we just buy feed by the 50-lb bag at the TSC or the Co-Op, so we're not even doing particularly well on feed prices.

I agree with everything folks have said so far. I do know people who have raised a single pig all by itself, so it can be done. Pigs are very social animals, so they will get lonely and bored if they don't have company, but they're also very intelligent, and they don't absolutely require another pig to be their companion. Still, I would recommend if you're going to get one pig, get two, and find a friend to buy it off of you or have twice as much in the freezer when you're done.

Containing a pig will be a challenge. If you don't have experience with pigs, you may be surprised at how inquisitive and destructive they can be. We have had some pigs who showed less interest in escaping than others, but you should definitely over-engineer your pen. A full-grown pig can generate over 400 lbs of lifting force with its snout! Whatever you end up doing with your fencing, I strongly recommend putting a wire or two of electric fencing around the whole thing, at a height of, say, 4-6", and maybe 10-12". The electric will provide the motivation to stay away. The fence will provide a visual reminder of where the electric is, and will prevent the pig from just squirting forward through the electric when it gets shocked. Having a secure pen for the pig is doubly important if you don't have a strong perimeter fence, which you may not, depending on whether you have other livestock.

We use electric mesh net fencing for our pigs, and we find it to work very well, but it may be more money than you want to spend if you're just going to do the one pig and then move on to something else. A spool of smooth-wire and a small energizer should be able to be had for under $100.

With regard to feed, bear in mind that it's important that the pig get adequate protein, and especially lysine, or it will not grow well. Pigs with inadequate lysine grow slowly and put on lots of fat instead of muscle. Corn has lots of energy, but little protein. If you feed the pig a substantial portion of corn, you should supplement with a nutrient/protein concentrate. 0.1% lysine by weight is the minimum. We had one year where we were feeding the pigs half-and-half corn and grower/finisher pellets. The pellets had only 0.75% lysine, so by cutting it half and half with the corn, the pigs were only getting about 0.375% lysine. Holy cow! If you do feed corn, you will get better feed conversion by feeding cracked instead of whole corn, and by soaking the corn for 24-48 hours in an equal volume of water before feeding. Also, bear in mind that pigs will enjoy eating house scraps, vegetable leavings, and so forth, but their caloric need is so great that there is no way any household could generate enough of these scraps to make up a substantial portion of the pig's diet. Give the pig as much of a complete feed as it wants, and give it all the garden and kitchen scraps you like as treats.

We find that our pigs grow out from about 35 lb piglets to about 250-300 lb market-weight in between 4-6 months. You can track the pig's approximate weight using the tape-measure method (http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/541/weighing-a-pig-without-a-scale) to help decide if it is growing fast enough and/or when to process it. Unless you get a slow-growing heritage breed, the pig should be constantly gaining, and if its rate of gain slows or stops, it usually indicates a health issue. For perspective, here's a chart of our last batch of pigs' weights. Bear in mind this is based on the tape measure, not a scale, so there is some inaccuracy, but it should give you an idea of the general trend.

Pig Weights.png