thinking of hiring a weldor

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #11  
Yep Terry I agree they are out there but will they come for an hour. To get someone to come back a few times for an hour of welding, the part of the project in between the welding has to be "interesting" with compatible personalities too. Compatible with someone who (has/had) the skills and may be particular in how he wants the work done.

I had a bit of trouble when my father in law was being general contractor but couldn't do the work due to health reasons. How the hired guy "did it" was always not "as good as it could be". Thus he wasn't able to get "satisfaction" from his work, so he was bummed, and less than motivated. Truth be told, the F-I-L's way was better every time and I wish-wish-wish he was able to do the work. And I learned from the two 'ways'. But the hired guys method was good enough and we needed the job ---done--- . Today I can look at our kitchen and bath and see these details where my F-I-L would have done it better, but not a single person on this earth would ever notice them but the two of us.

Anyway, point being good luck with your search to find a helper. You may need a guy with basic skills who is teachable, who wants to be there. Finding a guy who is already skilled might have its own problems for the few hours or low cost. You may need a hobbyist. :D

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #12  
I don't claim to be able to weld, but for what I can do, the only reason is that I am a bit of a perfectionist. Everything I do, I try and do well, even if it's not required. Then when I have to do something well, I have half a chance because I have had experience. This approach drives some people crazy.

A friend works in a shop, and it's funny because all the guys brag about what pro welders they are! No one has ever produced a ticket of any kind. Seems to be a guy thing.

I know guys who weld seven days a week and have never, ever seen them prep anything. Another Scottsman I knew that built Steel Fishing Boats, spent more time doing prep work then welding. He always spoke of the "snot" seeing someone elses poor welding.

In fact, it was at that time, me and a buddy had bought a VW dunebug made by some guy in our neighbourhood. He just had a Canadian Tire Buzz Box and probably fancied himself as quit the welder. Anyway, my friend in a most careless maneuver, flipped the dunebuggy, breaking every weld on the roll cage, and almost killing the guy he was with! A real eye opener about real welding VS snot!

/ thinking of hiring a weldor
Some good points about butting heads. in my current job, I usually try to listen to the other side, but in the end, it is ultimately my decision and my responsibility. On every project i have ever been involved with, there are always 2 or 3 people that thinks their way is better and wont be flexible when trying to decide the best way to accomplish what needs to be done. Even when you finally put your foot down and say this is the way its going to be done, they will go out of their way to prove you are wrong and they where right. It pays to listen to their ideals, but someone has to be in charge and make the final decision. It usually dont take long to separate the ones that know what they are talking about and the wantabe's.

The amount of work i will be giving this person would depend on his abilities. If all he can do is weld, then this relationship probably wont last long. He claims to be a asme certified mechanic, dont know how that will fit in with this job, but I would hope it means he can reason thru and solve some problems. He should at least be comfortable with small hand tools. Now if it turns out he can weld, fabricate, and knows a ton about hydraulics, I might just hand him the keys to the shop. Havent met the guy yet, I'm hopeing for the best and preparing for the worse.

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #14  
in my current job, I usually try to listen to the other side, but in the end, it is ultimately my decision and my responsibility.

At work it's someone else's money. In this case it will be vastly different.

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #15  
Even when you finally put your foot down and say this is the way its going to be done, they will go out of their way to prove you are wrong and they where right.

That is why I think his personality is gonna be the most important factor.

Would you rather have someone who is a 10 (on a scale of 1-10) when it comes to welding, but is one of these types?

Or would you rather have someone who is maybe a 7, but easy to get along with, nice to be around, and in general seems to have the same thought process as yourself?

At work it's someone else's money. In this case it will be vastly different.

Yea, its my money, and that does play a big part in the decision making process

LD1, on this project, its not something you can google and see a hundred pictures of. Internet is full of commercial and home made wood processors, but I am trying to do something just a little bit different. I am not an artist, aint worth a hoot at using cad draw software, so the only picture I have of what I am trying to build is in my head. This is the part i think will be the hardest to get together on. Communication is the key. Me having the patience to explain what i want, and him being able to understand what i am wanting done. Another part of the problems will be i aint sure everything i want is going to be doable on my budget and with the equipment I own.

I have been gathering parts for about 4 or 5 years now to build this thing and still dont have enough parts to complete the job. I just took the sprocket and hub assembly to a machinist today to have him bore and drill the sprocket to make the swivel with. He will be making the base mount for the boom as well. I have a few more high dollar parts to buy yet, but those will have to wait. With tradeing and scroungeing, I am into this project about $2grand, give or take a few billion $$$$. I estimate another $4 grand in steel, power plant, hydraulic pumps and hoses. If i can finish this build in that $6-$7000 range, I figure i will have done well. Cant buy a homeowner grade processor for that kind of money, and those dont have real production capabilities.

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #19  
Ask the guy you're considering to show you what he can do. If he takes 2 pieces of plate, makes a T joint and does a horizontal fillet weld doesn't tell you much. If he does it vertical up tells you more. If you have a couple pieces of square tubing ask him to weld them together. Don't tell him how you want it. Leave it up to him and just say it's not a race. How he does it will tell you about his fabrication skills. It's not a race unless he takes all day. If he puts one on top of the other and just welds it shows he doesn't take much pride in his work. If he cuts the corners at 45 deg's, grinds a little groove for penetration, welds a nice 90 deg. corner,, and checks it with a square shows he takes pride in his work.

Reminds me of a story I read about a guy applying to be a cat skinner. He came out to the cat, spent 10 minutes looking it over, checking the oil, greasing everything and then starting it and letting it warm up. Then he made a pass and it was pretty rough. The guy hiring thought the guy had never run a cat so he made another pass and it was quite a bit better. The employer was still skeptical if the guy was right for the job so he made a third pass and smoothed out the first pass like a pool table. The employers jaw dropped! Then they talked about the salary. The guy said $20/hr for the 1st pass, $25/hr for the second pass and $30/hr for the 3rd pass.

/ thinking of hiring a weldor #20  
Then they talked about the salary. The guy said $20/hr for the 1st pass, $25/hr for the second pass and $30/hr for the 3rd pass.
:thumbsup: