Thinking about a Farmall...

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
I really have no need for one, but I’ve just been wanting one. My Gpa has a really nice Super H that I just love to drive and play around on. I have a 5 year old boy who also loves to drive it around the yard (with me of course). My Gpa also had a Super C for a while but sold it because he thought it was a little small. My Gpa is just a catch and release kind of guy. He doesn’t use them for any kind of work and he doesn’t restore them, he just looks for really clean and good condition original tractors.

Now I already have an LS R3039 tractor, 39hp, 4WD, with loader that I use and love, but something in me wants to buy a nice little Farmall and do a beginner restoration, meaning very minor work and a good repainting to have a little tractor to play around the house on, maybe drive in a parade or two, pull a hayride or two, etc.

Is this a crazy idea? And if not, do people have a preference over the Super C or Super H? I’d like to have something that not everyone and their brother has. Lots of JD and Ford vintage tractors in my area, but not a lot of Farmalls. Could I get something like this with a $2500 budget? Thanks?

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #2  
"Is this a crazy idea?"
No Sir...thru the years you and your son can make memories to cherish on project tractor.

" little Farmall and do a beginner restoration"
For good condition pre 50's Cub will chew up $2.500 but for $2.500 good A or Super A you might some coins left in your pocket least in our area,also pull parade float easier than Cub.
C and Supper C are good fun tractor easy to get parts

IHC has chapter in every state maybe worth look and ask questions.

/ Thinking about a Farmall...
"Is this a crazy idea?"
No Sir...thru the years you and your son can make memories to cherish on project tractor.

" little Farmall and do a beginner restoration"
For good condition pre 50's Cub will chew up $2.500 but for $2.500 good A or Super A you might some coins left in your pocket least in our area,also pull parade float easier than Cub.
C and Supper C are good fun tractor easy to get parts

IHC has chapter in every state maybe worth look and ask questions.

Thanks! I was hoping for something a little bigger than a Cub or an A.

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #4  
Super C or 200 is not too big has live hydraulics, but not 3 point. If it is just for playing around it is midsize and parts are not bad. We do gardens, wood and rake hay with ours.

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #5  
For something that everyone doesn't have, the Farmall 130 would be a good choice. Just over 9,000 built through it's production run. Sharp little tractors..!! Has the same engine as the Super C, the C-123, very dependable engines, parts are easy to come by, and easy to work on. The white backround on the hood, with chrome International Farmall, and white grill really sets it off. I grew up with a Farmall A, but no hydraulics. Dad always wanted a 130, or 140 with Fast Hitch. 2 yearsago, I finally found a 140 for a good price, and bought it. Right now it's a work in progress in the shop. It too is pretty much like a Super A. If you can find one with Fast Hitch, that's the way to go. Someday down the road, if you want to make a garden, plow snowoff the driveway, they are great for that. They are 3 times the tractor a Cub is, and can do a lot of work with them. The C-123 doing jim jobs, pretty much sip fuel for a gasser. My Super C's use about 1 gallon an hour raking and tedding hay. Hopefully before the summer is over, I'll put the 140 on the tedder just for kicks. But, the 36" tires on the Super C'smake for a better ride over the field, than the 24" one's on the 140. Below is a picture of the 140 the day I brought it home. And here is a video of a 130 that was going to be auctioned off. Hostetler Farmall Auction - Lot #39 - 1957 Farmall 130 - YouTube

If you're looking for something similar to a Super C, a 200 1956 farmall 200 tractor-professional restoration , or 230 Flickr would also be a good choice. Still the C-123 engine. Those thingsare bullet proof, if you take care of them.

Just something about the white background/grill, and a touch of chrome really is anattention grabber.

Attachments

• DSC01991.JPG
    DSC01991.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 242
   / Thinking about a Farmall...
I do also really like the Super H too.

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #7  
When I sold my ranch 5 years ago, I sold my seven tractors. One buyer bought the Farmall Cub and the Farmall Super A for restoration projects that he and his two young sons could do together. I paid $800 for the 1949 Cub that needed its engine rebuilt and $1300 for the 1951 Super A that was running and had a three point hitch. The price of the Super A included a mid-mount sicklebar mower and a scraper that attached to the 3 point.

You probably could find a Super C or H for $2.5K that might need an engine rebuild or might be running if you're lucky. Check Craigslist using Search Tempest to find out what's available in your area.

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #8  
Had a forties cub a long while back. Paid 1500 for it....kept it for a few years...took it apart in the garage one day. Cleaned it up...new paint...new electrics...new magneto...lol...learned a lot....played with the carb and timing a lot...got it back together. Nice first tractor...nice minor restore. Sold it for almost double.
Excellent project tractors with a good return on time and use.

/ Thinking about a Farmall... #9  
Super A has class when it comes to looks, AND its same hp as an H---just in a smaller package. I love mine. Also have an A that I mow with, no hyd on them but for their size great tractors. ---I have 6 cubs and they are for the most part useless for doing any serious work,---mostly just toys.