things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction

/ things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction #1  

2manyrocks

We have an annual farm consignment auction coming up at the end of the month. Usually, there will be some MF 135's and 165's plus newer machines.

What should be looked at on these machines and about what price ranges would be fair for a diesel machine?

/ things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction
Previewed the auction items today and what a bunch of junk people are trying to unload.

/ things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction #3  
Previewed the auction items today and what a bunch of junk people are trying to unload.

Consignment sales are typically where people unload what they couldn't GIVE away otherwise. In most cases, you'll find problems. BTDT, quit going to consignment sales years ago.

But, just in case you're interested in looking at a 100 series Massey at any other venue, here's my short list of things to look for.

Look under the bellhousing and tranny. There should be TWO weep holes. You SHOULD find the tail ends of cotter keys sticking through. They're there to keep dirt from clogging those holes. You MIGHT find oil leaking out of those holes. A drop or two isn't anything serious. Lots of oil IS. Perkins engines have a history of the rear oil pan gasket failing. If you find copiuos amounts of engine oil, 99 times in 100, that's where it's coming from. Simple fix. Just change oil pan gaskets to the upgraded fiber gasket available through AGCO. 3 to 4 hour fix. Large volumes of TRANSMISSION/HYDRAULIC oil? Run.... Input shaft seals, or, if the tractor is equipped with multipower, could be pump/seal failure there. In any event, tractor will have to be split at the least.

Check 3-point lift for smooth operation. Try to use it with an implement on the hitch. Don't worry if the lift leaks down once engine is shut off. Not uncommon on most older tractors.

Look at front axle center pivot, ESPECIALLY so if a loader has ever been attached. That can be rebuilt, but no one likes suprizes.

If equipped, check for function of multipower. I avoid non-working MP tractors. Can be a money pit.

GOOD 135 diesels sell for $4500 to $6500, gassers for $4000 to $6000. In average to poor condition, $3400 to $4500. 150's sell for about the same money, MAYBE $500 more across the board. 165 diesels bring about the same as a 150, maybe a tick more. "Row crop" versions (38" rear wheels) bring slightly LESS than "standards" (w/24" or 28" rears)

100 series Masseys still sell EXTREMELY well here. I just finished rebuilding a 135 that I bought last fall. Frozen engine block...replaced with re-man engine. It has new rubber, good paint, 8-speed, flat-top fenders, recent clutch replacement, all gauges work, power steering, diff lock, and new seat. I had it sold before it was finished. Bagged $6250.

/ things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction
Thanks. One of the 135's was missing a rear fender. The next one had been repainted for the sale. I forget about the third one, but all of them looked beat and not well maintained.

Plus, they've started charging sales tax at this auction unless you have a farm exemption or a tax resale certificate.

/ things to look for in 135 or 165 at auction #5  
I have a nice 135 with loader coming in with new rubbor. Tractor was traded for a M;F L with BH ....0%-72