There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
And wash in that 10-10-10 that I put out just as the rain started coming down. I then sat in my truck watching the lightning and listening to the thunder, until it morphed into a slow steady rain. It will be a good night for sleeping. :thumbsup:

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #2  
Rain cools things down when it's falling then when the sun comes out after the rain, the humidity skyrockets...at least in Michigan it does.

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #3  
I would bet that only one out of every twenty five thunder/lightning storm that pass over the property here produces any rain at all. Its a great show - lots of loud thunder - good amount of lightning - very seldom any rain. We are just getting into the summer dry season here. My lawns that have been so nice and green are going to slowly be dying and turning tan.

Its just the way things are around here - since all my lawns are actually meadow grass that's been mowed now for 36 year - it still goes thru the meadow grass cycle. It dies out during the heat of the summer and greens back up with the fall rains. I've tried watering during the dry season. You end up with tan, dead, wet meadow grass.

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day
Rain cools things down when it's falling then when the sun comes out after the rain, the humidity skyrockets...at least in Michigan it does.
True, but we needed the rain and it will be much more comfortable sleeping tonight. When it ended I went out and gathered June bugs to feed to my turkey poults... watching the birds fight over them is almost as comical as watching the Three Stooges. :D

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #5  
True, but we needed the rain and it will be much more comfortable sleeping tonight. When it ended I went out and gathered June bugs to feed to my turkey poults... watching the birds fight over them is almost as comical as watching the Three Stooges. :D

Just curious. Based on a previous thread, I believe what a "June bug" is differs across regions. In my area, a "June bug" is a Cotinis nitida according to Wikipedia:

Screenshot 2018-06-01 at 11.24.41 PM.png

Do you have the same "June bugs" in Maine? I haven't seen any so far this year in NC.

Steve
:

Last edited:
   / There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #6  
   / There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #7  
We have Christmas Beetles and March Flies, neither pay strict adherence to a calendar but are active at those times of year.

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #8  
Do you have the same "June bugs" in Maine?

Steve
:

Steve, we've got April through Sept. bug's. :laughing:
Just getting out of "black fly" season, the regular mosquito's are taking over for them now. The Dragon fly's are a big help along with copious amounts of

proxy.duckduckgo-1.jpg

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #9  
"It will be a good night for sleeping."
T-storm roll by use around 7:30pm and cool air but the appear last 45 mins. and got steamy real quick w/no breeze muggy sticky night for sleeping...tonight should be whole lot better for sleeping tho.

/ There's nothing like a good thunderstorm to cool down a hot June day #10  
We have Christmas Beetles and March Flies, neither pay strict adherence to a calendar but are active at those times of year.

The June bugs in the Carolinas are not punctual. I think the switch to Daylight Savings Time in March has something to do with it.:)

Steve