The Unthinkable has happened (to our family)

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #51  
That tore me up....................and to think about what I complain about sometimes. You'all in our thoughts and prayers here, belated but heartfelt, literally ...

Tore me up too. I too complain about stuff that is nothing compared to what the poster and his family is going through.

I know what it's like to lose a family member unexpectedly and it's even worse to lose a young one.

Around 8 years ago I lost my 15 year old cousin who died as a result of an ATV accident after the throttle stuck and he went through a fence and a piece of rebar went through his chin and up through his brain and his friend who was riding another atv with him saw the whole thing.

It makes me feel better though to know that his heart, kidneys, liver are living on in someone else.

Chad

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #52  
i missed this earlier.. sorry to hear about it.

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #53  
Thoughts and Prayers!

Gracious, too many deaths to read about today.

Insurance is important for both spouses. My wifey does not work to generate income, but if she died, it would cost me quite a bit of money to hire someone to perform her chores. Ironically, Daugen's advice on insurance and investments has my wifey and I talking about increasing our insurance coverage for both of us.

I really feel so sorry for the children when things like this happens. Just not right or fair.

Later,
Dan

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family)
Around 8 years ago I lost my 15 year old cousin who died as a result of an ATV accident. It makes me feel better though to know that his heart, kidneys, liver are living on in someone else.

My wife's sister lost a daughter in an ATV accident almost eight years ago as well. That was the toughest death for me until last August.

Our daughter dealt with organ donor thing at the hospital before she left that terrible day to sign the papers to allow his body to be used in whatever way possible, this was before I arrived back with the kids to let her explain what happened to 'daddy'. I can only look up and admire her for the way she handled everything that day. I would have been a wreck. Anyhow, she gets a letter in the mail from the tissue bank the other day stating that his corneas allowed someone to gain there sight back and that seventeen skin grafts had been done to help burn victims and that there were plenty of skin grafts left for the future if needed.

On another good story, the couple that took the kids in to their house and kept them while the paramedics were working on him, I stopped in to visit them a few weeks back and let them know how things were going. They had both since then gone and taken a first aid course, it hit them that this could happen in their front yard and not be prepared that they took the iniciative to take the course. He had gone up to help her do CPR until a couple of volunteer firemen arrived. He was apologizing for not knowing how to do CPR properly, I told him it was not how it was done, it was a reward for attempting to help as he was probably gone by that time anyhow according to the coroner. He was a retired welder and had moved to Nova Scotia to be near their son and his wife.

These are the good things that come from the bad. Every little bit helps in the recovery process.

Steve

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #55  
Our daughter dealt with organ donor thing at the hospital before she left that terrible day to sign the papers to allow his body to be used in whatever way possible, this was before I arrived back with the kids to let her explain what happened to 'daddy'. I can only look up and admire her for the way she handled everything that day. I would have been a wreck. Anyhow, she gets a letter in the mail from the tissue bank the other day stating that his corneas allowed someone to gain there sight back and that seventeen skin grafts had been done to help burn victims and that there were plenty of skin grafts left for the future if needed. These are the good things that come from the bad. Every little bit helps in the recovery process.

Steve

Steve

You have a very strong daughter. I'm sure you are proud of her.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #56  
Just seeing this. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #57  
This song is for anybody who's lost a loved one.

After reading the threads about these deaths in the family. It reminded me of this great song.

I decided to sing it for you all. It's the first time I've sung it.

Chiseled in stone.

Chad

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family) #58  
This happened in my family as well Steve but in 1984, My brother in law ( who I knew since he was 5 as we grew up in the same neighborhood) died of a massive heart attack at the age of 33. He left 3 small children ages 8, 5 and 3. He was complaining of not feeling well for a month. He went to the hospital when he was getting jaundiced and the hospital diagnosed him with hepatitis and sent him home. The next day he was dead. He was getting jaundiced because his body was beginning to shut down because of his bad heart. He was a printing press mechanic for these giant presses the size of locomotives and was sent all over the world. A highly stressful job, a smoking habit started when he was 16 and a genetic cholesterol problem did him in. One word of advice is to have his kids checked if indeed his problem was genetic. Not one of my brother in laws kids had a cholesterol count of lower than 330. It was an utter and complete shock when it happened but thankfully, it saved the lives of all his children. Everyone of his children are doing fine now watching their diets and being put on medication. Heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.

/ The Unthinkable has happened (to our family)
Well it seems to never end, but life goes on. A week ago Monday we buried our father (full of cancer), I stayed with him through the night at the hospital until he passed shortly after midnight the previous Wednesday. We waited a few extra days for family to arrive from the western part of Canada before having the funeral on Monday. Then last Thursday our daughters mother-in-law has a brain aneurism and survived that only to succumb to a stroke caused by the operation to repair the aneurism (which they did repair successfully) and she was buried today. I'm so proud of our daughter with how she has handled all of this turmoil in the past year, she has helped her father-in-law with the funeral arrangements and caring for him through these hard times all while managing her own household with two young kids on her own plus my father's funeral and still grieving the loss of her husband's sudden death last August.

Steve