The things you see when you don't have a camera

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Driving down 4 lane state highway this morning, speed limit in this area is 50 MPH.
I spy a S-10 P/U coming at me in the passing lane with something which looks to be pretty
big riding in the bed. As he gets close enough to see I can make out what it is. It's the front
clip off a Crown Vic stood up on the left fender with about a third of it hanging out the back
of the bed. He's got a couple of those friction grip straps cinched down to the corners of the bed,
and what looked to be about 3/8 manila rope tied across the back to keep it from slipping out I guess.
The back bumper is about 6 inches off the ground and the headlights are searching for UFOs (if it was dark).

I usually have a cheap point and shoot camera in the truck but it was in the other truck today. the camera
on my cell is not a good choice for a grab shot like this. I was half tempted to turn around and catch up to
this fool just to get a pic for you all.

How much does something like this weigh? Both fenders, hood, grill, and all the other sheet metal underneath
from the windshield forward for a full size sedan like a recent Crown Vic or say the last of the big Impalas (94-96 vintage).

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #2  
I saw almost the opposite. A twenty foot long gooseneck flatbed behind a dually. Completely empty, except for something strapped upright and dead center on the trailer, with two three-inch wide ratchet straps. A kid's bmx style bicycle.

Whoa there! Might want to roll that thing forward on the trailer or you might get some swaying!

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #3  
I sold a standard-duty bush-hog. Used my loader to set it in the back of the guy's truck. The suspension dropped, but it was probably within specs. Then the guy proceeded to strap it in with, like, the smallest, lightest ratchet straps I have ever seen. Not that it was going to go anywhere, but if it did decide to go anywhere, those straps sure weren't going to stop it.

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #4  
About a year ago, I was on an overpass above the interstate when I saw this truck pulling a trailer loaded with stuff. On the back of the trailer, pointing straight up in the air was the body of a car. It was about 12' to 14' high and looked like it just cleared the overpass. It must have been just a hollowed out shell and shortened to about the rear doors.

I bet it had some impact on mileage!

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #5  
People will always haul over sized loads or equipment not suited for the vehicle doing the hauling. It amazes me that they reach their designation and how most escape getting pull over for the violation.

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #6  
The front clip of a car minus the engine and your description of the truck, maybe 1200lbs?

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera #7  
You can't fix stupid.

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera
OK, I can believe 1200, but that sounds a bit over the limit for a s-10, and it must have raised the COG of the truck significantly.

/ The things you see when you don't have a camera