The sound of freedom

/ The sound of freedom #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
The Marines are firing off the 155痴 today and the ground is shaking. And... the range is 25 miles away :D

/ The sound of freedom #2  
I would enjoy watching a live fire event such as that - with adequate hearing suppression. My side yard so resembles a practice range for the Army's First Light Artillery Brigade. The #@$% pocket gophers are relentless.

/ The sound of freedom #3  
That must be something to behold. 25 miles away and still shaking the ground. :thumbsup:

Oosik, perhaps it's time to call Bill Murray in... He'll take care of those golfers- er, gophers for you.

/ The sound of freedom #4  
It's such a PITA to run a gopher trap line - I've done it in previous years. Anybody looking at my yard now can easily tell its been a while for trapping. I just got a new batch of farm cats. I have them penned up in my tool shed until they get bigger - a couple months. The little buggers have already dispatched two field mice they found in the shed. Mice most likely attracted by the cat food and pail of water. I have three young barn cats - they are having a world of fun in the tool shed - the floor is covered with about an inch of cedar chips - they play all sorts of games with and within the chips. I'm hoping to unleash them on my resident population of field mice and pocket gophers this spring.

I've found that even the most persistent cat has a tough time catching a pocket gopher - but they sure put the fear of God in them and will actually drive them back off my lawns and into the surrounding buck brush. Just as good as a kill.

With my new year old Chocolate Lab, Olly and these barn cats - I certainly will not be using any type of poison.

Maybe get Orezok's Marines to drop by. Fire off a few rounds - down on the far end of the 80. I'm sure the ground shaking would, at least, scare the snot outta me.

/ The sound of freedom #6  
It's such a PITA to run a gopher trap line - I've done it in previous years. Anybody looking at my yard now can easily tell its been a while for trapping. I just got a new batch of farm cats. I have them penned up in my tool shed until they get bigger - a couple months. The little buggers have already dispatched two field mice they found in the shed. Mice most likely attracted by the cat food and pail of water. I have three young barn cats - they are having a world of fun in the tool shed - the floor is covered with about an inch of cedar chips - they play all sorts of games with and within the chips. I'm hoping to unleash them on my resident population of field mice and pocket gophers this spring.

I've found that even the most persistent cat has a tough time catching a pocket gopher - but they sure put the fear of God in them and will actually drive them back off my lawns and into the surrounding buck brush. Just as good as a kill.

With my new year old Chocolate Lab, Olly and these barn cats - I certainly will not be using any type of poison.

Maybe get Orezok's Marines to drop by. Fire off a few rounds - down on the far end of the 80. I'm sure the ground shaking would, at least, scare the snot outta me.
How does the dog like the cats?

/ The sound of freedom #7  
We live right at the Southern edge of Camp Pendleton and enjoy the sounds of freedom on a regular basis,I can assure you that the gophers thrive on the rumbling and shaking. The ground squirrels also seem to really enjoy it,I think it is some kind of aphrodisiac for all rodents as they multiply at an outrageous rate.

/ The sound of freedom #8  
Fallon, Nevada is home to the Navy's Top Gun school. There are multiple bombing ranges all around Fallon; US Highway 50 runs right by some of the ranges and if your timing is right you can be treated to an awesome show. Especially at night, when they are dropping flares and strafing. You can actually watch the ordnance leaving the plane and hitting the targets.

I was camped not far from one of the bombing targets this past spring; the planes were zipping up throug the canyons only a couple hundred feet off the ground to beat the radar.

P1060688r.jpg

Full disclosure...I was stationed at the Navy base in Fallon during the 60s so I'm kind of prejudiced toward the Navy flyboys.

/ The sound of freedom #9  
^^^^
There's not a thing wrong with that type of prejudism!!!
:thumbsup:

/ The sound of freedom #10  
I've been on impact area observation points many times watching artillery come in - awesome sight, especially if it's a well done 18 gun time on target. 18 rounds falling on the same target within a few short seconds of each other.
Also awesome to be on the gun line when the howitzers fire, the pressure, noise, smell and smoke - it really gets into your blood. But once they went to digital firing commands, my hearing is pretty much gone.

Small price to pay