The smell of natural gas

/ The smell of natural gas #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
2 missing, 14 hurt in Kansas City gas explosion - CNN.com

one of the things I learned in fire training at the gas and electric school was to evacuate quickly; one never knows where
the spark comes from that brings the whole place down on your head.

That excavator is going to have one heck of a liability claim.
In my home town, and the town across the river, we lost people in two different incidents where old homes literally blew up when work
was being done on ancient street piping. Man, if I had natural gas in the neighborhood, and I see a guy out there with an excavator, I sure hope
he called first.

Triple R, just hoping you were nowhere near this restaurant.
Drew

/ The smell of natural gas #2  
Gas isn't something to be messed with, that's for sure.

Last year here in the UK a 2 year old was killed when his house blew up after his neighbour cut through a gas pipe to kill himself but decided against it later and turned off the gas and opened a window. All is well you'd think - well, not so. Why? The idiot decided to light a cigarette.

The result - BOOM.

/ The smell of natural gas #3  
Gas isn't something to be messed with, that's for sure.

Last year here in the UK a 2 year old was killed when his house blew up after his neighbour cut through a gas pipe to kill himself but decided against it later and turned off the gas and opened a window. All is well you'd think - well, not so. Why? The idiot decided to light a cigarette.

The result - BOOM.

Hey, "smoke em if you got em" ha ha.. as bugs Bunny would say "what a maroon"

/ The smell of natural gas #4  
Hey, "smoke em if you got em" ha ha.. as bugs Bunny would say "what a maroon"
True, unless you're sitting in a room full of gas :laughing:

What I don't understand is how he managed to survive since he would have been at the point of explosion you'd think.

/ The smell of natural gas #5  
The first pictures I saw of this fire you could see a backhoe, boom in the air, sitting about 15 feet from the burning gas line. Pretty sure he hit it and before they could get the leak controlled, it ignited.

I'm 100 miles North of KC, TripleR is maybe 150 Southeast of there.

/ The smell of natural gas
I bet some of the members here have a gas pipeline going through or near their properties. That has to be a concern too, though the local terrorists
are usually four legged.

We have a big Texas Eastern pumping station just over the river, and the pipe comes across the Delaware from NJ less than a mile North of
my home town. And goes to Texas for all I know, but certainly West. When you drive by that pumping station, I swear I can hear a low whine of some sort; it's a big place and the pipe
from my observation is pretty large. I'm going to guess at six feet but maybe it's ten. Any event, big pipe, lots of gas. Get a bleve or fiery leak in one of those and we had backup plans
to get the Oshkosh trucks in from local airports to help. When you bring the truck home and the plastic lens are all soft and melty, you know you've been a bit close. The problem is with big gas lines,
how far away is safe? Could be a serious natural disaster.

I always loved driving behind the New York tourists who would throw their cigarette or cigar butts out right when we passed the gas line. :confused2:

The first pictures I saw of this fire you could see a backhoe, boom in the air, sitting about 15 feet from the burning gas line. Pretty sure he hit it and before they could get the leak controlled, it ignited.

I'm 100 miles North of KC, TripleR is maybe 150 Southeast of there.

good to know, though i know you guys will drive a ways for a good KC steak...
thanks

/ The smell of natural gas #8  
good to know, though i know you guys will drive a ways for a good KC steak...
thanks

And I am about 200 miles south in Branson, I am safe too:D

And I am about 200 miles south in Branson, I am safe too:D

Sorry I forgot you Jim... :eek:I just remembered Triple R saying something about being a certain distance from the Mississippi and it stuck with me. There's quite a few of you from
the Show Me State.

/ The smell of natural gas #10  
Sorry I forgot you Jim... :eek:I just remembered Triple R saying something about being a certain distance from the Mississippi and it stuck with me. There's quite a few of you from
the Show Me State.

It's cool, I was just having a little fun.:) There are a bunch of Missouri Members.. Depmandog is a lot closer than most of us to that little barbeque.

James K0UA