The Resting Place.

/ The Resting Place. #651  
SO forcing pilots to retire at 65 is discrimination?
Mandatory retirement at 30 years has been the norm for enlisted personnel across the military branches and in the Coast Guard, with a maximum age of service of 62

Pilots: the mandatory retirement age of airline pilots is 65. The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act (Public Law 110-135) went into effect on 13 December 2007, raising the age to 65 from the previous 60.[26]

Air traffic controllers: Mandatory retirement age of 56, with exceptions up to age 61. Most air traffic controllers are hired before the age of 31 (the hiring cutoff age for those with experience is 36).[27]

Foreign Service employees at the Department of State: Mandatory retirement at 65 with very narrow exceptions.

Federal law enforcement officers, national park rangers and firefighters: Mandatory retirement age of 57, or later if less than 20 years of service.[28]
Florida Supreme Court justices: The Florida Constitution establishes mandatory retirement at age 70.

Michigan Judges of all levels cannot run for election after passing the age of 70.
Minnesota has statutorily established mandatory retirement for all judges at age 70 (more precisely, at the end of the month a judge reaches that age). The Minnesota Legislature has had the constitutional right to set judicial retirement ages since 1956, but did not do so until 1973, setting the age at 70.[29]

New Hampshire Constitution - Article 78 sets the retirement of all Judges and sheriffs at age 70.

New Jersey Supreme Court also established mandatory retirement at age 70.

Maryland Constitution establishes mandatory retirement age of 70 for Circuit and Appellate Court judges.

Oregon – mandatory judicial retirement age of 75.

Really just matters WHO you are, right?

/ The Resting Place. #652  
Let's break this down...max years of service is not age discrimination.

And yes, those laws which set a maximum age are illegal and discriminatory. Like any other illegal law, they have to be challenged up to the Supreme Court to be struck down.

Regardless, we are talking about constitutionally proscribed positions. Since the constitution clearly sets minimum ages and does not do so for maximum ages, a mere law will not suffice.

/ The Resting Place. #653  
Let's break this down...max years of service is not age discrimination.

And yes, those laws which set a maximum age are illegal and discriminatory. Like any other illegal law, they have to be challenged up to the Supreme Court to be struck down.

Regardless, we are talking about constitutionally proscribed positions. Since the constitution clearly sets minimum ages and does not do so for maximum ages, a mere law will not suffice.
I have no problem amending for positions. The precedence for age is established. Service years has been established.

Should be simple right? LOL. No problem with use by or expiry dates.

/ The Resting Place. #654  
I would expect a lawsuit for age discrimination. Completely fair to discriminate on competence. Illegal to discriminate solely on age...unless of course you amend the constitution.

Or you have the press in your pocket...

/ The Resting Place. #656  
I would expect a lawsuit for age discrimination. Completely fair to discriminate on competence. Illegal to discriminate solely on age...unless of course you amend the constitution.
My commercial pilot friends keep fighting these battles but aging out still real.

/ The Resting Place. #657  
My commercial pilot friends keep fighting these battles but aging out still real.
I get it. Unless someone fights the fight it will continue. Of course, with commercial pilots you usually are talking union and that is negotiated. Effectively, you agreed to it. The union really doesn't care if you keep flying except where higher average pay boosts the leadership kitty.

I think with jobs like cops or pilots or politicians, you have rational testing. Some cognitive, but also physical skills for those jobs where public safety is concerned AND physical ability is important.

/ The Resting Place. #658  
I am referring/responding to p o l i t i c a n s.

If some of our major corporations have mandatory age limits in their c_suite, so should our government.

Age discrimination. Thats why we don’t have that in this c o u n t r y.

/ The Resting Place. #659  
I don't know why anyone would ever be happy to see one of these old guard democrats leave office. By comparison to the Freshman following in their wake, most of the older ones are far more palatable, much less radical. The reality of flipping a district from D to R, just because the prior office holder has passed or retired, is relatively slim.

To put a finer point on it, keep sleepy Joe going as long as you can! He's a delight, by comparison to his successor.

/ The Resting Place. #660  
I leave you kids alone for 5 minutes and you go and turn "The Resting Place" thread into a politics debate. Who did this? (in my dad voice)

I love it!

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

GARDNER DENVER SINGLE STAKE ROTARY SCREW AIR COMPRESSOR AIR COMPRESSOR (A34907)
GARDNER DENVER...
2012 John Deere 8335R (A33028)
2012 John Deere...
2019 BOBCAT T770 RUBBER TRACKED SKID STEER SN:6319224 powered by diesel engine, equipped with ERO... (A34907)
2019 BOBCAT T770...
Pallet of Turn Buckles 1 1/4" (A34302)
Pallet of Turn...
New 7' Work Bench with 18 Drawers (A34302)
New 7' Work Bench...
Crosley Trailer (A33249)
Crosley Trailer...