The Process for baling straw . . .

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #1  

mark.r

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
For those of you that bale straw as well as hay, what is your process? Meaning I know the difference between the two (hay and straw) but when you bale your straw so start out from the beginning with goal of baling straw? For example, do you plant oats, wheat, etc. and then are your renting that field out to someone with a combine who harvests the product? If so what'st he next step in the process, it's already been cut so is raking the next step etc.

What's the process for baling straw (or mulch hay for that matter)?

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #2  
Straw is the leftover by-product from combining cereal grains. (Wheat, Barley, Oats, ect) It's reached a stage of "dryness" while standing, in order to get a dry grain product. Typically, the combine will be run WITHOUT employing a straw chopper when baling is planned. Straw choppers are at the very tail end of the combine. They shred what is coming out the back of the combine to speed in decomposition when that leftover ISN'T going to be used. In a few instances, folks will bale after chopping, but that yields a poorer quality straw.

"Mulch hay" is typically over-ripe hay, hay that's been rained on and isn't of sufficient quality to be used as feed, or baled weeds. In other words, junk hay.

Generally speaking, straw is cut with the plant already dried while standing, while hay is usually cut while the plant is growing and has some moisture,(also some nutrient value) then allowed to dry while laying on the ground.

Usually there isn't much, if any raking to be done. The straw exits the combine and falls in a windrow that is sufficient to bale "as is".

Last edited:
   / The Process for baling straw . . .
Farmwithjunk said:
Typically, the combine will be run WITHOUT employing a straw chopper when baling is planned. Straw choppers are at the very tail end of the combine. They shred what is coming out the back of the combine to speed in decomposition when that leftover ISN'T going to be used. In a few instances, folks will bale after chopping, but that yields a poorer quality straw.

Usually there isn't much, if any raking to be done. The straw exits the combine and falls in a windrow that is sufficient to bale "as is".

Thanks! This is where I was getting confused since I can't remember ever seeing an harvester running an not shredding. But I guess that probably wasn't always the case. I must have assumed that since the "left-over" was coming out the back that it was all the same.:eek:

So in order to bale straw specifically, you really need to find a local farmer who is going to be harvesting some sort of grain and make an agreement to team with him?

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #4  
mark.r said:
So in order to bale straw specifically, you really need to find a local farmer who is going to be harvesting some sort of grain and make an agreement to team with him?

That would be one way. Many farmers bale the straw themselves. There's usually a good market for it. However, in many cases where it ISN'T baled, farmers choose to shred it and let it decompose as a sort of "cheap fertilizer". Good chance you'll have to pay that farmer something in return for baling his straw OR bale on shares, leaving a percentage of it for his own use/sale. A few years I grew wheat when wheat prices were a joke. I grew it because baled straw was a better "commodity" to sell. (I had a couple landscape contractors that bought every bit I had)

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #5  
Just to add to what Bill said, there are two types of harvesting processes employed by combines. The original style is a walker while the new style that everyone has gone to is a rotary. Rotary machines tend to chew the straw up but give a cleaner grain sample and get more of the grain then a walker will. However, a walker will give you nice long straw that is easy to bale and usually more desireable for buyers.

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #6  
Another footnote:

Some agricultural areas have shorter growing seasons. In these areas a swather with usually a crimper is used to cut the grain and lay it down in windrows for drying. When dry a combine with a pickup attachment will harvest the swaths.

Note: These swaths make great hiding places when hunting geese and ducks in the fall!:D

/ The Process for baling straw . . .
Thanks for the replies. Robert, what have you been doing for your source of straw to bale in your area?

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #8  
IIRC Robert I thought you put in oats for straw very recently b/c some of your customers were asking for it.

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #9  
jimg, you are correct. I planted oats a couple years ago as that is what the mill wanted. Last year I didn't have the time to plant any straw crop. And I am not sure about this year either given my back right now:(

Mark, I plant, harvest and bale my own products. I do bale my friends straw for him every year also but I do not harvest his rye. He has another friend with a modern setup harvest for him.

/ The Process for baling straw . . . #10  
Robert,
Did you work on a contract basis w/ the mill or was the planting speculative? Id be interested in details like who paid for seed & fertilizer. Was it spelled out who got what part of the crop?