The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner?

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #241  
A former neighbor bought the best fire rated safe he could find, for a somewhat reasonable price, and put it in a steel shipping container on his well cleared property.

Well, a fire finally came through (this particular SoCal area was well overdue), and...everything in the safe got ruined.

Yes, it was still obvious what had been a pistol and what was once a rifle, but an aggressive fire can ruin a lot I learned.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #242  
"Fire Safes" may occasionally work for wood/paper, BUT...anything metal, inside, is at the mercy of both heat and acidic smoke, especially if doused with water. Steam and smoke have devastating effects on steel items. I have seen photos of complete collections destroyed in a house fire that is doused with water. Safest place for a 'fire safe' is where there is no chance for fire.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #243  
"Fire Safes" may occasionally work for wood/paper, BUT...anything metal, inside, is at the mercy of both heat and acidic smoke, especially if doused with water. Steam and smoke have devastating effects on steel items. I have seen photos of complete collections destroyed in a house fire that is doused with water. Safest place for a 'fire safe' is where there is no chance for fire.
I've wondered if part of the reason why things should be in a fire cabinet is so that fire fighters see that bright yellow cabinet and say "ok that could be dangerous"

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #244  
I've wondered if part of the reason why things should be in a fire cabinet is so that fire fighters see that bright yellow cabinet and say "ok that could be dangerous"
I suspect the yellow paint either burns off or turns black with smoke staining pretty early in a fire. The safes give a longer window of time in which items inside are protected from high temperatures, but eventually they will reach combustion temperature if the duration if exposure is long enough. That’s where their “safe venting” mechanisms come into play, which is very different than a standard fire safe or gun safe.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #245  
Everyone should have a chainsaw in the pickup truck. We have noticed that after a hurricane the roads are quickly opened by the guys who always carry a chainsaw. (Not the state DPW, but the guys with chainsaws.) They probably also have a shotgun, too, but they don't need them for clearing roads, usually.
I have never needed a chainsaw in my truck.

Now if I knew a tornado or hurricane was approaching I might put a chainsaw in the back.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #246  
Everyone should have a chainsaw in the pickup truck. We have noticed that after a hurricane the roads are quickly opened by the guys who always carry a chainsaw. (Not the state DPW, but the guys with chainsaws.) They probably also have a shotgun, too, but they don't need them for clearing roads, usually.
I don't carry a chainsaw in my pickup but I do carry a hand saw when riding my mountain bike on trails.

I learned the hard way when I was pinned down on a remote trail by a sudden squall. Downed trees blocked my path in both directions and I was stuck there for quite some time. Ever since, I carry a folding saw in my bike bag.

No, it won't cut up a 24" tree trunk but I have used it to cut off limbs so I have room to lift the bike over the trunk. Won't help getting a pickup through though.

I used it just last month on the Pine Creek Trail. A sudden wind gust brought down a branch blocking the trail.

IMG_003757a.jpg
IMG_003760a.jpg
IMG_003758a.jpg

Sure, I could have easily lifted the bike over the branch but there was a group of ladies riding behind me who would have been stuck. 5 minutes with the saw had the trail open again.

It's a handy tool I wish I'd bought sooner.

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #247  
;) Only on TBN can you get a recommendation to carry a saw on your bicycle in a tractor customization thread. lol

/ The one thing that you wonder why you didn't buy sooner? #250  
Ear muffs. It was too late for me by the time I learned to not get on a tractor without them.
We use foam plugs. Love them and have used them since about 1980. I was working as a carman back then and the company I worked for started to issue them to us employees..