The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #11  
At the front of one property is orange, nice people who said I could buy anything at cost, however, I went with Deere. The reason is farmers around here (I mean long-term farmers with 100s acres) have Deere as well as highway department.
I do have one orange, my Grandad's Economy Power King he bought new.
I was working a deal for a new JD 5095 at the local dealership the salesman printed the quote and suggested I takecit to a Kubota dealer. I did. I came back to JD and showed him the quote for a Kubota $7K less than his. He pointed out the differences, all in Kubota's favor. He said if he were in my chair he'd buy the Kubota. I did. I do all the business I can with that JD dealership.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price"
There are sales associated with colors, you can't deny that. Those colors know how much they can leverage that, they'd be foolish businesses if they didn't.

However, I think a lot of people that talk about how much paint costs are the same ones posting questions like "why won't my tractor start", "help me find a widget for this tractor", "NEED HELP", or "XYZ problem". There is a lot more, not all, that goes into the price than the color of the paint from materials to dealer prep/explanation to components on the tractor. I have only owned one color but I've operated a lot of colors and don't consider myself committed to a brand...for my last two tractors I've looked at multiple colors. You need to look at each machine independent of the color hype IMHO.
Exactly what I was driving at, but you stated it more eloquently. Thank you!

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #13  
Sometime the saying is used when it’s a case of a green or orange (say) M70x40mm bolt being 3 times the price of one you can get in a hardware store.
Granted, there is some value in the dealer knowing that it was a M70x40mm bolt you needed for a particular hole on your particular tractor, and it’s the right grade, etc..
…but that knowledge isn’t worth as much as they charge for it when there’s other options. But worth is a personal thing, so…

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #14  
Funny you say that, I needed a large metric nut for my JD, the farm store didn’t have one that large, if they did it would have been about 40 cents, at the JD dealer, it was over 4 bucks. The difference they did have it in my hand in less than 5 minutes.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #15  
Funny you say that, I needed a large metric nut for my JD, the farm store didn’t have one that large, if they did it would have been about 40 cents, at the JD dealer, it was over 4 bucks. The difference they did have it in my hand in less than 5 minutes.

Not tractor, but I was at a tire shop when they told a guy his F350 would need new lug nuts. $15 …a piece, seven on a tire from the dealer. Maybe they had Henry Fords signature, I don’t know what made them so special.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #16  
At the front of one property is orange, nice people who said I could buy anything at cost, however, I went with Deere. The reason is farmers around here (I mean long-term farmers with 100s acres) have Deere as well as highway department.
I do have one orange, my Grandad's Economy Power King he bought new.
There’s a reason why most farmers have Deere machines and not Kubota. Deere really focuses on that market and machines greater than 100 hp. Kubota focuses on machines less than 100 hp. Of course both companies sell a range of tractors and hp, but they definitely cater heavily to their focused market segments.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #17  
I was working a deal for a new JD 5095 at the local dealership the salesman printed the quote and suggested I takecit to a Kubota dealer. I did. I came back to JD and showed him the quote for a Kubota $7K less than his. He pointed out the differences, all in Kubota's favor. He said if he were in my chair he'd buy the Kubota. I did. I do all the business I can with that JD dealership.
That’s an honest salesman you can trust.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #18  
For years I always wanted one of those New Holland Boomer 8n they made for a few years around 2010. Just love the retro/throwback look of the tractor. Problem is they didn't make very many of them and were plagued with problems with their CVT transmissions from the start.

They are old enough now where they are longer required to carry parts for them so that makes matters even worse. I still have a fond eye for them but the fact that keeping running if there was a breakdown such a challenge keeps me from ever owning one.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #19  
Thank you for sharing that post WinterDeere. I hope that a solution is found quickly for them.

I can't say that i have colour loyalty because i have only had one / current tractor, but there were various reasons that i bought a New orange. Typically, Used machines are my history.

That said, I have / had 3 green ride-on lawn or garden tractors (two have been sold), and now i also have a yellow zero-turn, not to mention a rare vintage (sentimental) red and white garden tractor. I have also had a small blue ride-on, and a grey ride-on (sold, it was extra).

I learned to operate machines on my uncle's red tractor.

That is my colour spectrum without going into details. 🤠

Have a good day everyone.

/ The next guy that claims "green (or orange) paint doubles the price" #20  
And the other real payoff for "green" paint, is the value retained after using the green machine for a fairly long time. They really do hold their value.
Look at other brands that are 5 years old and the sordid depreciation over those years. Getting parts is a good part of the reason, I suspect.

But I just let the nay-sayers chide the green paint, and am happy to have that green paint on mine. :D (that emojii is supposed to be a big grin, believe it or not)

I own a few JD pieces of equipment and they have been stellar. Not only does the paint hold up extremely well compared to other brands, but they seem to be engineered/designed/built to hold up longer, especially in harsh farm environment work. Their superior paint alone, helps propel John Deere’s resale value. They just look better when they’re older and this impresses used tractor & equipment buyers into believing the equipment is still presentable and in good shape. Underneath the paint, they are also well engineered and built.
It also seems like there is a belief that Deere will endure the test of time as a business model. Buyers place faith that they will be around tomorrow and for decades, if not centuries to come.

I don’t really look at Deere very much for tractors because they are priced too high in my area. I think its a regional thing and I farm, so it’s gotta be cheap to buy for me. I actually prefer AGCO and Case-IH for farm tractors. They have strong engines and a lot of features for the price. However, they are not painted as well as their Deere competition, so when they get older, they don’t bring in the resale value like Deere.