The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
Believe it or not, I can turn around my farm tractors inside the current 40x60.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #502  
I believe you.

Heck I could to, if I didn't have so much stuff in mine (40x70)

It doesnt seem like youcan when you pull in, but these AGCO’s can turn tight-even with 4WD

Kind of a neat day on Monday. It started off with the usual hustle of trying to get machinery & truck/trailer in place for loading hay.

1701174942101.jpeg

Once I got loaded at this spot where I had about 24 large squares stored, I began the second load.

1701173885969.jpeg

Then I heard the train horn off in the distance. I got a visit from East Penn Railroad.

1701173926336.png

The engineer waived. Kinda gave me a boost from the Thanksgiving weekend hangover. They know me and I know them.
It seems like we appreciate each other’s work. I feel like we have the quintessential “small town” local railroad. Neat & clean, but small. Supposedly their single biggest investor is a retirement fund.

1701174263001.jpeg

Once I was finished delivering that load, I headed up the road in the tractor to the next field with hay bales.
This is a bad picture, but I had to take it in a hurry. Wild turkeys under the pine trees. Man they camouflage so well. You can barely see them.

1701174201218.jpeg

I will try to get some better picture of them in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:
Followed by a very crappy day today.
It started out fine. Today is my birthday. I thought “what could go wrong”? My wife made me a great breakfast.
Arrived at the farm to a “no start” on the Challenger. Batteries putting out plenty of juice. Turn key to run position….nada….

First I looked at wiring on starter. That seemed fine. Then I tapped the starter solenoid with a hammer got back in cab and it fired over. I have to remember to replace that solenoid before snowplowing, or it’ll die for good in the worst of snowplowing weather.

Then it was off to loading bales

1701216377453.jpeg

Got this trailer load delivered and returned to the farm to begin loading another. While bringing bales from another field to the farm and stacking them in piles of 3. I got an alarm and the tractor wouldn’t move. I had just rolled in off the street with tractor. Got out to start looking around and saw this on the driveway:

1701216728264.jpeg

The other 25 gallons is in the field. EPA would be proud of me. I lost like 25 gallons of transmission/hydraulic fluid in a matter of 100’ of driving.

Definitely blew a high pressure line.

1701216992258.jpeg

1701217106958.jpeg

Took 2) 40lb bags of kitty litter for the driveway spill alone.

So now I have a huge driveway stain, I’m out a pallet of transmission/hydraulic oil, and still have an unresolved leak. OH, and one of my feed hay customers needs a bale and my tractor is down.

Then I got home and while moving some stuff in my garage a 80lb cast iron vice fell on my right foot. I severely bruised my metatarsal. I hope it’s not broken.

Happy Birthday, HD!

Some days you get the bear and some days the Loch Ness Monster gets you. Hahahaha

Might take a picture of my foot tomorrow. Let me know if you want to see it lol

Last edited:
Wow, what a terrible birthday! Hope things start getting better !
Take the night off and have some birthday cake !
Or a bottle of Crown Royal.