The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #381  
Eddie, Tractors are perfectly legal on the roads, if they follow the rules. I think all you need is flashers/lights on and the slow moving vehicle triangle on the back. We see them regularly here too on our county roads. Just be patient and pass when and where it is safe.

Although one time I did see a giant tractor with some huge attachment that I couldn't identify on the interstate 94 bridge crossing the river between MN and WI - AT RUSH HOUR! In addition to being certifiably nutz, I'm pretty sure that was not legal. That made a mess of things while I was coming through myself, but I don't know if it caused any accidents. You could probably safely get away with that late into the evening or overnight, but at 5PM that was a seriously dumb move.
Around here, and I believe much of the country, farmers have right of way on the roads and God forbid if you hit one with an SMV emblem and lights on it. Guys farm here with tractors and duals that are wider than country roads and a real challenge on even the two lanes.

Farmers haul all sorts of stuff on the road but if it's a secure load, and often it doesn't matter, you're all good. No one says anything and city people don't seem to be inconvenienced. They do pass your 20mph at 60mph, often not safely, but I'm not in charge of their behavior.

I used to pull over and do all sorts of things to be a nice guy but learned I should not do that for liability reasons. Just load up and go and like you're supposed to. Life in the country is life in the country.

Last edited:
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor
Around here, and I believe much of the country, farmers have right of way on the roads and God forbid if you hit one with an SMV emblem and lights on it. Guys farm here with tractors and duals that are wider than country roads and a real challenge on even the two lanes.

Farmers hear all sorts of stuff on the road but if it's a secure load, and often it doesn't matter, you're all good. No one says anything and city people don't seem to be inconvenienced. They do pass your 20mph at 60mph, often not safely, but I'm not in charge of their behavior.

I used to pull over and do all sorts of things to be a nice guy but learned I should not do that for liability reasons. Just load up and go and like you're supposed to. Life in the country is life in the country.
I pretty much stopped pulling over, too. So many drivers have done so many stupid things, flipped me the bird, etc that I just don’t have a lot of kindness left

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #383  
The most that we are on the road is usually just a mile or 2, once in awhile it will be 3-5, and for one late hay cutting it's about 13 miles. But most of the bales are hauled on trailers for that hay. But no, no pulling over, no riding on the shoulder, We aren't tearing up equipment or tires to let idiots get by a few minutes faster. The worst times are slowing to make left turns at intersections or field roads and have them trying to come flying around as I'm turning left. If the on coming traffic is clear I pull over and straddle the center line of the road if it has one as I slow down for the turn.

Final baling day, or at least I think so….

Just a small field. Made (12) 2K bales. Hard to get hay up dry now. I’m 50% sure someone will call me that couldn’t get baled up and ask me to help them, but for now, that’s the end of 2023 hay.

A few pics.

Saying goodbye to this Redtail Hawk

1697674786577.jpeg

Bringing the last bales to their stacking spot. Amazing how many of my fields have very few flat spots to stack. If the bales are even on a 2-3 degree angle, when you return, they may have tumbled over.

1697674961660.jpeg

Here’s a stack ready to truck out.

1697674915942.jpeg

One last look back at this small lightly productive field.
It’s about 10 acres and made (12) 2,000lb bales Or about 1&1/4 tons per acre.

1697675047717.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! I try!

I’ll get some bale trucking and winter maintenance photos going

Last edited:
   / The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #387  
Just a curiosity question: In my area, it's variable sized round bales as opposed to large squares. What was the deciding factor for you? What customers want/trucking/stacking ease?

Loving the thread and the pictures, keep it up!

Just a curiosity question: In my area, it's variable sized round bales as opposed to large squares. What was the deciding factor for you? What customers want/trucking/stacking ease?

Loving the thread and the pictures, keep it up!

I did round bales for 15+ years. They are a viable option because you can make them with a smaller tractor and the baler itself is less expensive. However, the process of round baling is slower, the bales are smaller and they are much harder to stack on the trucks.

I made 4x5 round bales that average about 900 pounds. With a square baler, I can make 4x4x8’s at 2,000lbs. I can also make shorter square bales like 5 feet long and about 1,000 pounds, and sell to my feed hay customers.

Another big reason for me is in MY area square bales are more widely accepted. Generally speaking though, they are faster to bale and easier to haul & stack. That saves a lot of time and of course, time is money.

/ The Life of a Custom Mowing contractor #389  
I did round bales for 15+ years. They are a viable option because you can make them with a smaller tractor and the baler itself is less expensive. However, the process of round baling is slower, the bales are smaller and they are much harder to stack on the trucks.

I made 4x5 round bales that average about 900 pounds. With a square baler, I can make 4x4x8’s at 2,000lbs. I can also make shorter square bales like 5 feet long and about 1,000 pounds, and sell to my feed hay customers.

Another big reason for me is in MY area square bales are more widely accepted. Generally speaking though, they are faster to bale and easier to haul & stack. That saves a lot of time and of course, time is money.
My friend you are a professional . . . (y)

I caught this little guy hanging out at field’s edge while gathering up some bales.

1698198097911.jpeg