The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems?

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #1  

bjr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma JM354
Disclaimer: Some may view this as a rant or being really cynical. The conclustion I've come to is the whole "Internet of Everything" is similar to the CB radio era. A big flash in the pan. Some antidotal experiences are: the local autoparts vendors "We don't do email anymore" and that's true with most brick and morter places here in town and Web sites are being taken down as a "Too Big of a Pain to maintain and too expensive". I've seen most Craigslist ads say "No Emails" they only want phone call replys. A lot of parts searches I do I find that online inventory maintenance is dismal at best, I get "Oh were out of that and or We discontinue that last year". More and More all the information Web sites provide are a phone number and operating hours. The Scammers and The make money off of every digital bit of information moved groups has drowned any positive and beneficial communications initially intended. This commentary is brought to you by the very thing that disgusts me! Okay, let me have it, How do you guys see it. bjr

Last edited:
   / The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #2  
The Internet is certainly here to stay. But, I believe it is creating a real trap for humans. On 911, the net was useless! That was before so many corporations, governments, IP phones, security and a host of others were on it. Today (I believe) if there was a disaster, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING would work!

Last night I was watching Netflicks at 1AM. Suddenly the Internet ground to a crawl. Funny, I thought for that time of night. There is not a person alive that I can talk to to find out why that happened. Wonderfull system!

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #3  
Well, it certainly isn't a flash in the pan. Most Craigslist ads that don't want e-mails is because the seller is too **** stupid to use e-mail. Most local mom and pop businesses around heer have ads in the window to like them on face book. Personally, I don't use face book, never have and probably never will. I see farmers with cell phones as much as I do see them with a can of skoal in their pocket. I don't know what I would do at work all day without the internet. I install broadband for a living so I hope it lasts another 10 years at least.

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #4  
Broadband internet will be here when we are all long gone. Only it will be much faster, and everything in the household will access it.

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #5  
IMO, a lot of the no email ads are from people who don't want to deal with spammers/tirekickers or who are posting something for a friend.
Its getting easier and easier to use the internet and computers to work together.

Aaron Z

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #6  
Another opinion- the ones that abandoned their websites or don't maintain their inventory (I have seen a lot of these too) are too lazy or ignorant to make good use of a Web page.
So they pay a nerd a lot of money to make them something they don't understand or have time to fool with. Then they get sick of it because it was supposed to magically make them money and it doesn't work.

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #7  
It's like, heaven forbid, don't call us, visit us on our web page (what a stupid concept). We don't have anyone to answer your call anyway. So then you can waste YOUR time trying to negotiate our web site that is different from every other you have seen. And if you are me, never find what you are looking for anyway.

I want to buy one widget from a company. I don't want to have an on-going relationship with them. If I need them, I will find them again.

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #8  
Another opinion- the ones that abandoned their websites or don't maintain their inventory (I have seen a lot of these too) are too lazy or ignorant to make good use of a Web page. So they pay a nerd a lot of money to make them something they don't understand or have time to fool with. Then they get sick of it because it was supposed to magically make them money and it doesn't work.

This is more fact than opinion!

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #9  
Last night I was watching Netflicks at 1AM. Suddenly the Internet ground to a crawl. Funny, I thought for that time of night. There is not a person alive that I can talk to to find out why that happened. Wonderfull system!

The issue you experienced very well may have been part of a planned outage. There's no such thing as 100% uptime in the networking world - it's a fallacy. This type of maintenance along with unplanned outages would be covered in the client-facing SLA, or fine print, and are absolutely necessary to deliver any type of service.

/ The Internet-Growing Problems or Dieing Problems? #10  
Many younger people (and a lot of older one's too) use the internet to keep in touch. I use it for email, Facebook, and searching for parts for my various vehicles and my tractor. My neighbor collects vintage tractors so he uses it to find parts. I agree, at times it is a PITA to use, but it is the current way of doing things and will be for some time to come. I know I get upset trying to find parts for my Case IH 24DXe, but the local Case dealer's staff is not friendly to none farmers or someone who only buys a few things. His costs are high, so I keep searching the Internet trying to find equivalent parts at a more reasonable price. :D :2cents: