The high cost of cutting grass

/ The high cost of cutting grass #11  
N
I think mine is broken. He sees coyotes and he just watches them. He would rather chase his frisbee. Now the corgi, I have seen chase a mama moose with her calf. He backs down from nothing.

View attachment 734758
View attachment 734759
View attachment 734760
View attachment 734761
Nice dogs. I just got a new Australian shepherd pup in December. Our old and very helpful dog passed this past year. We’re hoping that he is as good as his predecessor (same breeder). Looks like you are in eastern or central WY? I ask because I’m related to half the state (my wife has 6 brothers and one sister - all in WY, with their children too).

/ The high cost of cutting grass #12  
I had always thought the idea of farming was like any other business - to make money. Yeah, yeah, hard to do.... but that is still the idea, right? So I could never grasp the idea of grass-farming where money is spent with no goal of making any money from it.

I mow my small yard every other week and let the rest of some unused ground grow for the wildlife.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #13  
I'll be reducing it to every couple of weeks. I'm sure glad I don't fertilize like some.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #14  
N

Nice dogs. I just got a new Australian shepherd pup in December. Our old and very helpful dog passed this past year. We’re hoping that he is as good as his predecessor (same breeder). Looks like you are in eastern or central WY? I ask because I’m related to half the state (my wife has 6 brothers and one sister - all in WY, with their children too).

I'm in Southern Wyoming right on the Wyoming/Colorado boarder west of Cheyenne.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #15  
I had always thought the idea of farming was like any other business - to make money. Yeah, yeah, hard to do.... but that is still the idea, right? So I could never grasp the idea of grass-farming where money is spent with no goal of making any money from it.

I mow my small yard every other week and let the rest of some unused ground grow for the wildlife.
Keeping the grass short discourages rattlesnakes and makes them more visible.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #16  
What's a rattlesnake. I've never seen one of those.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #17  
Keeping the grass short discourages rattlesnakes and makes them more visible.
OK, yes, but I guess I made an assumption that most folks who mow large areas do not actually "use" those areas and do not walk around those areas anyway. That is the way it is around here anyway. But if rattlers are a real hazard to livestock, people, pets, etc. then I guess mowing would be a good remedy........

/ The high cost of cutting grass #18  
Why on earth do you need to spend 3 hrs to cut that much grass 2 times a week? What a waste! Need to find something better to do with that land.

/ The high cost of cutting grass #20  
I'm in Southern Wyoming right on the Wyoming/Colorado boarder west of Cheyenne.
Laramie area? I have in-law relatives in Cheyenne, Alcova, Buffalo, Wright, Casper, Glenrock, and Evanston.