The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend #31  
I guess lose hay in the loft isn't done anymore?

It sure made a great place to play as kids and the cows were below the loft and feeding was as easy as dropping some through openings in the loft floor... nothing back breaking...

Yeah that’s pretty much done now. All the bank barns around here are still standing-pretty much useless because they were designed for loose hay.
I started stacking hay in my single digits at the D’orio‘s farm. We just did it for fun back then and tried to see who got the strongest. The dad made us a rope swing INSIDE the barn! Then came 1 bale in each hand, then “double fisting” in teenage years. Got crazy strong from that and still have broad shoulders to this day. Football came easy to me because haying requires effort and so does football.

I remember putting bales up as a kid and watching him get kicked castrating a bull. Feral cats everywhere. Always a mess, broken equipment everywhere, but the most fun place to be.

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend
One of my daughters had a girl on her grade school basketball team that was raised on a horse farm. She looked like a normal girl, but was deceivingly strong! Throwing hale bales and pushing around 1000# + horses she wasn’t going to be intimidated by anyone when playing defense. We distinctly remember a girl trying to purposely charge her, slamming in to her, bouncing off, fall backwards on her back and start crying. Just bounced off her like a dodge ball. We just attended her wedding last summer, and she had twins a few months ago. She’s an ER nurse. Time flies! ;)

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend #33  
I guess lose hay in the loft isn't done anymore?

It sure made a great place to play as kids and the cows were below the loft and feeding was as easy as dropping some through openings in the loft floor... nothing back breaking...

Back when I was a kid, balers were just starting to become common. Every bit of hay that our animals got was harvested with a fork: from shocking it after mow/rake, load on wagon with fork, nets into the barn and most fun was picking the bunches apart up in the hey mow with a fork on hot days to get it all leveled off. The good old days...not!

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend #34  
We had a young couple that wanted to work off part of the cow I’m raising them. They left after an hour and said to not worry about taking money off the bill. My 12 year old nephew and the Amish kid across the street stack my wagons and stack the hayloft

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend #35  
Back when I was a kid, balers were just starting to become common. Every bit of hay that our animals got was harvested with a fork: from shocking it after mow/rake, load on wagon with fork, nets into the barn and most fun was picking the bunches apart up in the hey mow with a fork on hot days to get it all leveled off. The good old days...not!
Yeah, I remember doing that when I was in grade school. Fortunately we upgraded to an IH 45 baler when I was in high school so I only had to handle about 3200 bales of hay and 800 bales of straw each year. I don't miss it a bit!

/ The Hardest Part of Bailing Hay With a Friend #38  
We just had hay delivered. Bunch of youngsters stacking it. The 17 year olds could toss one up to the top of the stack as easily as I could have tossed a basketball.

They had their 5 year old brother there. He helped. He would basically flip the bale like a guy working out with a big tractor tire. He was also barefoot and all the older kids were wearing boots. That kid is going to be a beast when he grows up..... or he will decide he never wants to do that again and get an office job.

It was all stacked at ground level but the got the stack up into the rafters which are at 10 foot.

We just had hay delivered. Bunch of youngsters stacking it. The 17 year olds could toss one up to the top of the stack as easily as I could have tossed a basketball.

They had their 5 year old brother there. He helped. He would basically flip the bale like a guy working out with a big tractor tire. He was also barefoot and all the older kids were wearing boots. That kid is going to be a beast when he grows up..... or he will decide he never wants to do that again and get an office job.

It was all stacked at ground level but the got the stack up into the rafters which are at 10 foot.
Pretty impressive (y)

My friend showed me an incident that happened several weeks back after he had two teenage girls (gender doesn’t matter here) stack bales in his barn. He was happy for the help. Unfortunately, he woke up the next morning and saw his cows eating a bale of hay out about 15’ from the barn. Then he noticed several more bales on the ground and in the water trough. Then a couple sticking out of a window of the barn!

Apparently they didn’t stack them so well, and overnight, the stack collapsed towards that area, and some fell out through the window into the paddock.

The cows didn’t seem to mind. 😂

He also said this was their 4th cutting already. Been a really good year for them.

They live near Walkerton.