The Great Wall

/ The Great Wall #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
Finally... it's time for spring/summer project season to begin. This weekend I will start (and hopefully finish) a retaining wall to create a parking spot for our camper. It's only about two feet high, but 115 feet long /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've got 22,000 pounds of landscape block and 3 yards of gravel waiting for me when I get home tonight. Backhoe is on the tractor and ready to dig. Pictures will be forthcoming, wish me well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ The Great Wall #3  
Oh if only that were true here ... snow snow snow. We had nice weather for a few weeks but but's it back to winter this week.

Good Luck with the project - Hopefully you'll have pics when it's done!

/ The Great Wall #4  
Looking forward to the photos...I also need to do a retaining wall. No where as long as yours however... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif GOOD LUCK!

/ The Great Wall
OK, installment #1. A before picture showing my trusty little 790 poised for action and the pallets of block and my pile of stone. I'm hoping the block is staged far enough away to be out of the way but not so far to be a hassle to work with. This is the view looking up what will soon be a side drive along the main drive but a couple feet lower. This is where our camper will sit when we're not out enjoying it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 394365-IM000606.jpg
    394365-IM000606.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 484
   / The Great Wall
Last picture tonight... I got a pretty decent start to the excavation. That little backhoe is amazing. No way I could move this much dirt by hand in a whole weekend much less a couple of hours on a Friday night. And yes, that is a cold one sitting on the concrete /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is the corner. The wall will come straight back towards the camera for 100 feet and to the right of this corner (behind the dirt) about 15 feet. In addition to a functional parking pad, it will add a nice hardscape element to our landscape.

I'm reserving the right to rent a power compactor but so far the Armstrong model is working just fine. I did pick up a pretty slick laser level which I'll photograph and report on more tomorrow /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 394374-IM000608.jpg
    394374-IM000608.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 493
   / The Great Wall
I have a bad feeling this is going to be a frustrating day /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I get the tractor warmed up, make some more measurements and begin moving some spoils only to have it start raining again. Hopped on the move the tractor back inside and it's pouring with hail /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Here's a pic from this morning, just before the rain. Not much more progress than last night, only a different angle /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 394586-IM000609.jpg
    394586-IM000609.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 399
   / The Great Wall
As long as I'm rained out I'll take the time to post about the laser level I picked up. I'll repeat this over on CountryByNet as I had started a laser level thread over there.

I've been looking casually at laser levels mostly for this wall project. I couldn't justify a $300 model with self leveling and such as a string line will work just fine for my needs. There are a bunch of small laser levels out there for as low as $20. It doesn't make sense to me though to have the accuracy of a laser linked to the inherent inaccuracies of a short (12 inch) bubble level.

At Menards the other day I see this thing (see picture). It's called a Multi-Function Laser Adapter by Maxall. Basically, it's a laser that clamps onto your own level. Cost $39.99 and so far I'm happy. I use my four foot level which I trust, get an area in the wall leveled then shoot that elevation with the laser clamped onto the level. In the picture you see a grade stake with marks at 0, 4 and 8. That's my sophisticated laser pick up to get the laser line at any length along the wall. 0 is the offset of the laser to the ground level, 4 and 8 represent thicknesses of the blocks I'm working with for stepping up/down.

So far, it's much easier to work with than a string level or a water level. Set it, check and pick it up to get it out of the way.

I'm using it on my four footer right now but it will easily clamp to my two footer and it will clamp on at 90 degrees to shoot vertically.

I'll give more feedback as my project continues (weather permitting /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif )

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 394596-IM000611.jpg
    394596-IM000611.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 424
   / The Great Wall #10  
Hi sassafraspete,

I just posted a road test for the laser level I bought over on Rob's thread in Countrybynet. Attached is a link.

If you're interested in trying it out, send me a PM.

John

Robs laserlevel thread