The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #1  

SensibleNick

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT254
Hi All.

Not so long ago I joined up to get some advice on tractors for "maybe the summer?"... things move fast, and a few days ago our Foton FT254 arrived from the Dealer in Sweden. (Kellfri)

No teething problems to report yet aside from front axle assembly quality (See link) and the hydraulic fluids being too low after FEL installation.
Picasa webbalbum - Nick - Made in China...

The ground is too soft to really be going out in the fields with it yet, but we've sorted out the 100meter driveway with ease (answering my "do I really need a BoxBlade?" question in the process) and shifted a bit of stone the neighbour didn't want. (Taking it in small easy steps with the FEL as I have no rear ballast yet)
Picasa webbalbum - Nick - The Foton - U...

Next up: Rear Ballast, a Grapple for the FEL and something "carry-all-ish" for the back. 5 more hours of service and I'll be changing all fluids as well.

Thanks for the advice you all gave when it came to buying... Now the dreaming phase is over, and the fun begins. :)

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #2  
Typically, the front ballast weights have to come off in order to make clearance for the front loader. Until you come up with a more permanent solution, weight down the tiller with those otherwise idle front weights. Depending upon what you lift with the loader, you might even find the ballasted tiller to be an acceptable permanent solution.

Others have fashioned lower lift pins and a set of toplink on a metal barrel filled with concrete.

Now that you're the owner of a Chinese tractor, you'll quickly become acquainted with
1. the value of a quality initial assembly
2. the generally poor quality of rubber (disappointing cork gaskets too)
3. the propensity to rust (usually because of zero prep work prior to the over-sprayed paint job)

My "carry-allish" solution is a three point carry-all and a pallet (onto which you can add your own sides). See http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/2501863_lg.jpg

//greg//

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden
Ballast: I've been trawling this forum for all Info I can get on all the bits I want to make. Balast has been one of them, and I'm well armed with ideas now. :)

I had been using the back-blade's frame and the 80Kg of front ballast as a makeshift weight, but I'm going to be making something a little more compact when time allows.

Now that you're the owner of a Chinese tractor, you'll quickly become acquainted with
1. the value of a quality initial assembly
2. the generally poor quality of rubber (disappointing cork gaskets too)
3. the propensity to rust (usually because of zero prep work prior to the over-sprayed paint job)

Given my history with JCB gearbox and drive-axle assembly/routine, checking and so on, The front axle came as a bit of a shock. Nevermind... I'm now prepared for more.

I've already witnessed the stunning paintwork... I think I'll attempt to improve the quality by feeding the local birds with black berries, and hoping they'll crap in the right areas.... Even if I only get one hit, It'll be an improvement :)

I'm armed with gasket material by the square meter, have a program that can copy shapes from photos and an abrasive water-jet cutter at my disposal... I'll be watching for gasket leaks with interest. :thumbsup:

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #4  
I'll be watching for gasket leaks with interest. :thumbsup:
Some that you might want to replace early in the game are those under the shift lever cover plates. Consider the gasket between the hydraulic sump and the differential housing too (and the hydraulic sump cover if it has one). Since the oil levels are for the most part well below these plates, they tend to rot from the outside in due the the effects of Mother Nature. So rather than worry about whether or not they'll keep the oil IN, you have to worry about them keeping the water OUT. Prematurely flushing and replacing six or more gallons of wet gear oil is not a welcome experience.

//greg//

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #6  
Hi All.

Not so long ago I joined up to get some advice on tractors for "maybe the summer?"... things move fast, and a few days ago our Foton FT254 arrived from the Dealer in Sweden. (Kellfri)

No teething problems to report yet aside from front axle assembly quality (See link) and the hydraulic fluids being too low after FEL installation.
Picasa webbalbum - Nick - Made in China...

The ground is too soft to really be going out in the fields with it yet, but we've sorted out the 100meter driveway with ease (answering my "do I really need a BoxBlade?" question in the process) and shifted a bit of stone the neighbour didn't want. (Taking it in small easy steps with the FEL as I have no rear ballast yet)
Picasa webbalbum - Nick - The Foton - U...

Next up: Rear Ballast, a Grapple for the FEL and something "carry-all-ish" for the back. 5 more hours of service and I'll be changing all fluids as well.

Thanks for the advice you all gave when it came to buying... Now the dreaming phase is over, and the fun begins. :)

Hey! Congrats! Nice looking tractor.

Looks like you have a beautiful place down there.
Keep us updated :)

Take care.

Right... it had to come sometime...

Just got myself a nice 20liter jug of hydraulic oil... was doublechecking the instructions and it states that the tractor requires dual purpose transmission and hydraulic oil .... is that because the functions are somehow shared?

Or will I be ok with Hyd oil?

Hmm... scratching my head about this one really.. :D

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #8  
Well, that might be a recent FOTON design change. Pretty sure the older ones had separate sumps. That is, gear oil for the tranny and differentials, hydraulic fluid for the hydraulics. Never the twain shall meet. The other design of geared tractor is the common sump. That is, one sump that feeds tranny, diffs, AND hydraulics. For that type, you use the UTF (universal tractor fluid).

Haven't been too many members report buying new FOTONs recently, so we might not hold the ultimate answer here. Check the manual for instructions on WHAT to pour in WHERE (or just call the dealer).

//greg//

Well, that might be a recent FOTON design change. Pretty sure the older ones had separate sumps. That is, gear oil for the tranny and differentials, hydraulic fluid for the hydraulics. Never the twain shall meet. The other design of geared tractor is the common sump. That is, one sump that feeds tranny, diffs, AND hydraulics. For that type, you use the UTF (universal tractor fluid).

Haven't been too many members report buying new FOTONs recently, so we might not hold the ultimate answer here. Check the manual for instructions on WHAT to pour in WHERE (or just call the dealer).

//greg//

I'd assume that a common sump would mean a common filler/dipstick...

If it's any help, there's a transmission dipstick/filler next to the gear-lever assembly, and higher up at the rear of the seat there's a dipstick and filler for the 3-point hydraulics. (This has no oil on it and is low, while the transmission dipstick has a good level)

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the systems are separate.

My question I suppose is more about the oils and systems themselves. If a system is "supposed" to use the dual purpose oil, Adding a more expensive mineral hydraulic oil isn't going to hurt it is it? Does a dual purpose oil offer better protection for the pump for example?...

Hmm.... I'll ask the dealer.. Thanks again for your time Greg :D

/ The Foton has Landed: FT254 in Sweden #10  
Make sure you use the right oils. Hydro oil has no protection for gears where as UTF has the Extreme Pressure Additives needed for gear drives.

Chris