The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
I guy wants me to fix up his big parking lot. It is very hard packed and muddy when it rains. I could spread 280 tons of grave but it is very expensive. So how can I recondition the parking lot without all that stone expense. I have a tiler which might bring the rocks to the top. Any thoughts on this?

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #2  
I guy wants me to fix up his big parking lot. It is very hard packed and muddy when it rains. I could spread 280 tons of grave but it is very expensive. So how can I recondition the parking lot without all that stone expense. I have a tiler which might bring the rocks to the top. Any thoughts on this?

Hard packed is good. When you say muddy do you mean there are soft spots that turn into sink holes. If that's the case you have a serious need for a better base or more surface gravel as long as that's not going to sink into the soft spots. If sink holes are not a problem then the lot only needs a bit of a resurface in crushed stone or limestone chips or what ever the gent likes. If you till it I think you'll just make things worse.

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #3  
put down geotextile and 4 inches of 3/4. Be good forever unless the snowplow scraps it off.

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #4  
I re-surface a lot of gravel driveways and parking lots with my Harley rake, it works great!

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #5  
Dr power grader, check it out on their website. I love mine......

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #6  
I've heard the ratchet rake works well for this.

I would not use a tiller!

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #7  
A lot of guys swear by a Landplane to recondition a gravel road, would work for your parking lot too. Here is a good video to watch

How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments

James K0UA

/ The best way to recondition a gravel parking lot #8  
Redo a gravel parking lot!

You need a grader with scarifiers or ripper and a vibratory packer to do a proper job.

Any thing less just moves a few loose rocks into the potholes. Looks good but reverts back to potholes very quickly!:thumbsup: