Texas Fall/Winter thread!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,891  
OK FG, tell me agian how to plant them tomatoes, worked pretty good last year, bury them to the armpits right?

Yep! Remove all of the bottom leaves, and plant them to the level of the top leaves that remain. Good for growing lots of root structure and making sturdy stems!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,892  
Yep! Remove all of the bottom leaves, and plant them to the level of the top leaves that remain. Good for growing lots of root structure and making sturdy stems!

Do you stand them up straight? I've posted this before, but the guy who owns the nursery where I used to buy plants said for tomatoes, lay the plants down horizontally to cover the roots, then bend them upright and pack the dirt around the stalk. That really surprised me, but it worked great. But yes, he did remove the lower leaves first.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,893  
Do you stand them up straight? I've posted this before, but the guy who owns the nursery where I used to buy plants said for tomatoes, lay the plants down horizontally to cover the roots, then bend them upright and pack the dirt around the stalk. That really surprised me, but it worked great. But yes, he did remove the lower leaves first.

Bird, That's the way I've done it and it works great. When I pull up the plants at the end of the season the root system is huge. I try to find tall (leggy) Tomato plants........I like my tomatoes like I like my women, Leggy.

Charlie

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,894  
Bird, That's the way I've done it and it works great. When I pull up the plants at the end of the season the root system is huge. I try to find tall (leggy) Tomato plants........I like my tomatoes like I like my women, Leggy.

Charlie

Charlie, I used to pull tomato, corn, and okra stalks, but then I quit doing that. When the tomato plants grew out through the cages, at the end of the season I'd chop them off with a machete. That made it easy to pull the cages. Then I'd set the rotary cutter down low to the ground and mow everything down, and of course that chopped it up a bit, too. And then I'd till it in. Even those big old heavy roots and stalks of the okra and corn would be decomposed and gone by the time I was ready to plant the next Spring. That was a lot less work.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,895  
My son and his wife where in KY last weekend for George Strait concert .. Front row tickets and she got ...

Oh WOW. That is something. Front row seats are $$$$.......that is 4 digits. I have seen him throw his hat into the crowd, but WOW. My daughter is gonna have a hissy when I show her this. That hunk of wood and string will be good for $$$$$ some day. Maybe more.

hugs, Brandi

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,896  
I was out at the land yesterday,, had a few jobs I was taken care of,, Decided I would stop for hour or so and have a couple of cold ones,, Which I did.. Because I am my own boss out there.. Anyway I had one more task to do in the back pasture..

Own my way out to the back I got to thinking.. Who in the world names a goldfish?.. I mean a goldfish is about as smart as a blade of grass,, You could never teach it to roll over or set like a dog.. I bet you could holler its name all day and it would never come or even know you are talking to it,,

All it is,, is someone or somethings lunch.. I thought to myself you would have to be dumb to name a fish.. as l poured Bonnie and Clyde into the water tank to take care of the algae this summer.. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,897  
I have some named Goldfish too! They can be fun, and soothing to watch. It is when I watch the dadgum egrets going after my goldfish that it is no longer relaxing. And WHY are egrets protected anyway. They have overrun the region here!

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,898  
62108 cowbird and rainbow 002 - Copy.JPG

This is Lloyd and Floyd that were locals..

This is Jose from the valley,,

caracara bird 008 - Copy.JPG

No one told him about the law.:shocked::laughing:. Lou

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,899  
I hope Jose drowned while trying to fish there! :laughing:

Of course, I could say the same for Floyd and Lloyd. It would be hard to get a shot on one, as wary as those birds are around here, but it stinks that I can't even try.

/ Texas Fall/Winter thread! #5,900  

I stand mine upright when planning. I think it is easier for me to plant them that way by hand.