Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #1  

PowerTracManiac

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1460
Have the 1011f duetz 4 cylindar in my 1PT1460.
Just saw no oil pressure on the oil pressure guage at dash. I saw on another post the gold cylindar with 1 wire coming off it on the drivers side of the Duetz deisel engine is an oil presure sender. Can I test for bad sender/wire by putting a battery with 3 volts nominal with positive battery post on the one wire coming off the gold canister and then negative battery post to ground to chassis. Then turn ignition on only one click-before engaging starter.
Theoretically, this would show about 1/2 pressure on the oil presure guage, assuming the sender voltage corrolates as 5 volts to maximum oil pressure?
If I see the oil guage go up with the 3 volts from the battery, then I know I don't have a bad wire from the sender and I possibly have a bad sender or engine problem.
If no change at the dash pressure guage with the 3v battery connected, then I either have a bad wire from the sender to the guage, or I actually have a really big problem with no engine oil presure?
Any thoughts on this?
I guess I could also connect a manual oil pressure guage to the hole where the gold canister is screwed into the Duetz engine block?
Does anyone know what the thread and pitch is for the gold oil canister pressure sender on the Duetz so I can get the right fitting to screw into the block and check the pressure with a separate manual oil pressure guage?

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #2  
Not sure about the thread pitch on the sender, but I am pretty sure the sender just provides a resistance to ground. 12 v, usually is on the wire and as the pressure goes up, the resistance to ground goes down. Try grounding that wire with the ignition on and see if your needle goes to Max. If so, than bad sensor or no oil pressure. Bottom ends of air cooled deutz engines are pretty robust, I am betting on sensor or wiring. Check voltage at wire to ground with key in run position, if no voltage, work your way back towards the gage.

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel
Thanks for helping. PT put a new sender in the mail as when I spoke to Terry at PT he jumped on that as something they deal with regularly. Interestingly, he said that gold canister is a PT part. That makes sense as I was going nuts trying to find it on a duetz engine diagram.
Will update as I figure out the tech details on the part.

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #4  
Make sure you update the thread when you solve the problem. Just might help the next guy:thumbsup:

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #6  
Make sure you update the thread when you solve the problem. Just might help the next guy:thumbsup:

Next guy here. Yes be sure to update! Pls

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #7  
This is getting to be a old post, but I haven't been to the site in awhile. Anyway DON'T RUN THE ENGINE UNTIL YOU VERIFY IT HAS OIL PRESSURE!!!!!! I called my local Duetz dealer and chatted with the mechanic for awhile about the engine on my 1430. He asked for the serial number as there is a recall for loosing oil pressure. He was very friendly to talk to giving me all kinds of good info on the engine, but he never got back to me on the recall and if it was needed and or done while on the factory shelf. It is on my list to call him again or a different dealer and follow up.
One way you can verify if the engine has oil pressure is to unscrew the sender and put in a mechanical gauge just to start up for a few seconds and get a reading or not. If you don't get any reading within 10 seconds or so, you have a problem and if you keep running the engine, you will damage it severely.

/ Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel
Ok, progress on the Duetz gold canister oil pressure sender.
The gold canister is part number 06555-7351. Don't know the manufacturer. Got the part from PT for 100.00 delivered.
It is a single wire oil pressure sender. 80 psi rated internal potentiometer style.
The sender grounds to the motor and gives a variable ground to the wire that goes to the dash guage and varies with the engine oil pressure.
No oil pressure is a full good ground (no resistance to ground) and in this case the dash guage shows no oil pressure. Higher oil pressure moves the internal potentiometer in the gold canister and that increases the resistance to ground and then the guage goes up in the dash.
Theoretically, if you remove the wire from the gold canister and leave it disconnected, the guage would show full pressure as that would be infinite resistance (no ground).
To check actual pressure before I installed the new sender, I bought an engine oil pressure test kit from harbor freight for approx 30 bucks. This shows oil pressure mechanically so no electrical stuff is required. (Engine Oil Pressure Test Kit ).
The kit has different fittings, a 6 foot rubber 3k rated hose and a large guage to read the pressure.
The thread on the gold oil sender is m10-1.
Fortunately for us, the fitting in the harbor freight kit of npt1/8th inch 27 is close enough to the m10-1and worked perfectly in the tapped engine block. I just snugged it up-not too tight.
I removed the old sender and installed the oil pressure test guage in the port. Started up the machine and I had 50 psi pressure right away. This assured me the oil pump was actually good.
Replace the sender and all good again.
20200128_140310.jpg

Last edited:
   / Test Gold canister that is oil sender on Duetz desiel #9  
Thanks for the update on the Deutz. That gauge is backward from everything I have ever dealt with. Usually they read zero PSI with an open circuit, kind of like a fail-safe as a broken wire looks like no oil pressure so you fix it. Good to know. I am kind of shocked with the price of the sender. But just like Cummins parts, you get what you pay for and quality isn't cheap.