Terramite cylinder disassembly

/ Terramite cylinder disassembly #11  
Yeah I would replace all seals. Don't remember any being a real problem. Glad the socket and breaker bar worked. Sounds like you are on the way home on that job. big dan

/ Terramite cylinder disassembly
Just for the record, and maybe help someone doing a search in the future; I decided to follow the advice above and replace the seals myself. It went well and I'm pleased with the result. Here's some notes of details. If the wire that holds the end plate can be grasped with a vise grips, it's not bad. But turning the end plate using the spanner holes in the end really helps. Nothing holds that end plate in but the wire; 1/8" on mine. Removing the piston just meant securing the piston in the bench vise and then a good swift yank on the piston. End nut came off with with breaker bar, socket and short pipe extension. Seals - 7 altogether - were not bad. I was too careful, trying to save them in case I couldn't get replacements, but next time will be more forceful. Small screwdrivers worked OK but I can see where those special tools could be useful, especially on that inner one. Seals were all available at the hyd shop, about $25. On their advice, I removed a very small machined ridge just inside the opening of the bore where the piston seal that flares outward gets hung up - and possibly damaged on reassembly. They suggested emory; I used a dremel tool. You have to be careful not to nick anything while doing the work. Getting the new seals on is not bad, but the piston seals are firm. I found it's a matter of trusting that they can be stretched over the piston and it won't hurt them. Some oil helps slide things along and they snap into the grooves. Clean the cylinder THOROUGHLY, a touch of grease on the parts, and it goes together well. Add the wire and it's done. Finally for those experienced guys, be tolerant of my terms, I'm new at this and not sure what stuff is called by the pro's.

/ Terramite cylinder disassembly #13  
I guess what I need to know is that what I'm seeing is a replaceable seal and not something else.
Everything is replaceable the white ring is called a wiper seal and yes you need to replace it. I have rebuilt a couple on mine not hard. I replace all my cylinders but 2 of them. dalton hydralics appears to be the cheapest place I've found about 110.00 a cylinder. But you find that you will need to do some mods although mine is a 1974 T-3-14 not a t5. its really not that bad
Sam

/ Terramite cylinder disassembly
Everything is replaceable the white ring is called a wiper seal and yes you need to replace it. I have rebuilt a couple on mine not hard. I replace all my cylinders but 2 of them. dalton hydralics appears to be the cheapest place I've found about 110.00 a cylinder. But you find that you will need to do some mods although mine is a 1974 T-3-14 not a t5. its really not that bad
Sam

I know this is a bit off topic but has anyone had to remove the cylinders that swing the boom from side to side? One of ours is leaking and now that I can replace them, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get that cylinder off. Thanks Sam, - a wiper seal - makes sense. You were right it wasn't bad.

/ Terramite cylinder disassembly #15  
Hey Sampen,I need to replace the swing hyd cylinders on an old T7 I have. Any ideas where I can get them?