Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,302  
I don't think one post refutes the other. I was answering specifically about the election process of state officials. Put otherwise, are governors and state representatives elected by popular vote or electoral vote process?
In most states it's by a plurality of the vote. The one who gets a majority of the votes wins. Some states have ranked choice voting where voters vote for first choice, second choice, third choice. Then the one with the most votes wins. Alaska and Maine use RCV. Many local municipalities use it - 5 candidates in a race to fill three vacancies on a city council, you can vote for one, two or three of the five. No runoff, top three vote getters win.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,303  
In most states it's by a plurality of the vote. The one who gets a majority of the votes wins. Some states have ranked choice voting where voters vote for first choice, second choice, third choice. Then the one with the most votes wins. Alaska and Maine use RCV. Many local municipalities use it - 5 candidates in a race to fill three vacancies on a city council, you can vote for one, two or three of the five. No runoff, top three vote getters win.
Yes, we do have RCV. I think it's stupid. I try to research the candidates, and slowly gravitate toward the one I like best. So my second, third, and fourth choices progressively are people I know less about. To me it makes as little sense as when I could go into the voting booth and check one box to approve of the party line, without taking time to research the candidates and questions.

NOW I'm the one taking it political...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,306  
Most of our problems could be solved it we elected "public servants" instead of "politicians."

Bruce
As it used to be. And you could argue it was a hedge against corruption, in theory. But party machinery put real practice against that theory, coercing often naive and badly-inexperienced office holders into doing the bidding of the party, once elected. Starting with the Reconstruction era and continuing through the Gilded Age, there are countless examples of this.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,307  
New York is distinctly divided, and controlled by just a few cities. If one were to look at a county map of election results most of the state is much different then the damned cities.
Needs an electoral collage.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,308  
But in a Democracy it is controlled by the majority. Sorry if that’s not your group.
Mayhaps you need to rethink were we supposedly live, it is not a democracy which just amounts to mob rule, it is designed to be a Republic, a Democratic Republic which should allow both to have an equal say.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #8,309  
  • Winner-take-all systems typically reward larger parties while penalizing smaller parties. Proportional representation guarantees that smaller parties garner representation that is proportionate to their votes received in an election.
Bruce