Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,951  
Because gold is measured in Troy oz. and cotton in regular imperial ounces. But a pound troy is 12 T.oz., which is less than a regular imperial pound, being 16 imperial ounces.
Quoting myself, I know, but these old Imperial and other colloquial measurement systems cost society a lot of unnecessary time, energy, and expense. I know there's historical reasons for each, but it's really bothersome that we can't just leave them where they belong, as historical artifacts.

Just using the above Troy ounce with gold as an example, I wonder how many people get scammed per year, paying Troy ounce pricing for gold items and receiving their weight in Imperial ounces, due to unscrupulous sellers. If you don't know to ask...

The only duplicate name convention that makes any sense to me is imperial tons versus metric Tonnes, which are intentionally spelled different for disambiguity, although pronounced the same. The imperial ton is 2000 lb., and the metric Tonne is 1000 kg ~ 2200 lb. The rest of these duplicate ounces, pounds, and gallons should be left as historical artifacts, and their use as a primary form of measurement for sale made illegal by our various departments of weights and measures.

Don't even get me started on stupid stuff like "face cords" or "bush cords". :rolleyes:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,953  
Quoting myself, I know, but these old Imperial and other colloquial measurement systems cost society a lot of unnecessary time, energy, and expense. I know there's historical reasons for each, but it's really bothersome that we can't just leave them where they belong, as historical artifacts.

Just using the above Troy ounce with gold as an example, I wonder how many people get scammed per year, paying Troy ounce pricing for gold items and receiving their weight in Imperial ounces, due to unscrupulous sellers. If you don't know to ask...

The only duplicate name convention that makes any sense to me is imperial tons versus metric Tonnes, which are intentionally spelled different for disambiguity, although pronounced the same. The imperial ton is 2000 lb., and the metric Tonne is 1000 kg ~ 2200 lb. The rest of these duplicate ounces, pounds, and gallons should be left as historical artifacts, and their use as a primary form of measurement for sale made illegal by our various departments of weights and measures.

Don't even get me started on stupid stuff like "face cords" or "bush cords". :rolleyes:
"They" drive on the wrong side of the road, too!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,954  
99A7F58F-FB6C-4DE0-84FC-92AE62F7A41E.png
41129FFD-5CB3-44F6-A280-959623A1724D.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,955  

I don't know about that I've never had any issue with the different weight and volume measures,
From Troy oz and T pounds to friken and gills for volume. Then Pecks and bushels and lets not forget chains and rods nor links. I have a little book that I have kept handy for many years that has 63 pages of conversion formulas.
It's called the Pocket Ref by Thomas J. Grover, I've found it to be an excellent gift over the years. I see that it is up to it's forth edition now my most current one is a second edition.
Pocket Ref - 4th Edition - by Thomas J. Glover
I would highly recommend this for anyone who has an interest in a multitude of subjects, 542 pages of information at your finger tips.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,958  
"They" drive on the wrong side of the road, too!
Slightly off topic but I saw a youtube clip of "Gran Torino" last night, where Walt saved the girl from the gang bangers. Oddly, the driver's side was on the right. It took a while to realize that the poster must have mirrored the image to get it past the filters.