Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,942  
I think they start it with one of those hand cranks like a Model T.

I bet you let me at that thing with a tuning chip I could get more power and get 125 rpm out of it.
Your are talking of the picture of the farmer behind 4 horsepower, right? Jon

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,943  
And it is 50% efficient, not to be sneezed at!

I once saw a video of the forging process, and the scale is amazing. Little things like residual stress in the billet are significant issues as it gets machined.

Many moons ago, we were buying some precision large fabricated pieces of equipment, and the German versions where much more stable, much more accurate in use, as in 10X the Japanese, and perhaps 50X their US competitors. I happened to be by the German factory at one point, and found they had developed a really clever process. They rough machined the parts and then stocked them outside for a year or two to have freeze/thaw, warm/cold warping happen. Then when they had an order, they precision machined the "annealed" part, which then held its tolerances better than anyone else's because they were removing just a tiny bit from the part, which had already drifted to its final shape.

I have no idea how Wärtsälia manages.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,944  
Aging castings to eliminate stresses is (or rather WAS) common practice. Problem is that that requires a lot pf WIP (Work In Progress) and the accountants hate that. Rough machining in stages is similar. Nothing new there, just the willingness to take the time to let it happen...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,945  
Aging castings to eliminate stresses is (or rather WAS) common practice. Problem is that that requires a lot pf WIP (Work In Progress) and the accountants hate that. Rough machining in stages is similar. Nothing new there, just the willingness to take the time to let it happen...
Bridgeport Mills were made with aged castings... it's an interesting story of an American made quality product... or was when I learned the manufacturing process

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,946  
An ounce of gold weighs more than an ounce of cotton, but a pound of cotton weighs more than a pound of gold.

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,949  
Ok, that explains the difference between and Troy once and a regular once. What about the pound part?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,950  
I had her poster on the back of my bedroom door.
That must be one of the most commercially-successful posters ever made. I think nearly every boy of a certain age had that poster.

I wonder what the starting system and method is on that engine. The only 2 stroke diesels I ever ran the Detroits required a super charger to push the air in to even start. They will not start without the super charger even the later turbo charged ones the turbo fed the super charger.
Probably used a D6 engine as a pony motor. :D Seriously, most of these old diesels used a pony engine to start, including the D6 (I think).

Ok, that explains the difference between and Troy once and a regular once. What about the pound part?
Because gold is measured in Troy oz. and cotton in regular imperial ounces. But a pound troy is 12 T.oz., which is less than a regular imperial pound, being 16 imperial ounces.