Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,891  
How many domesticated and tame horses would tolerate a stranger measuring them head to tail? And then, yes, how many would do it without being restrained? By a stranger?
tumblr_inline_p0lo1nrquQ1r4zr0j_1280.jpg

Can I just shed a little doubt on the photo being a real photo of a feral horse in the bottom of the Grand Canyon, for those and other reasons, e.g. the halter?

Just an amateur here...

All the best,

Peter
Photo and description here:

^^^^ "
Edwin McKee measuring captured little horse near Havasupai with Lauzon, Jones, and Watahomigie during the Little horse expedition. 24 Jan 1938. Nps.

Grand Canyon National Park Museum Collection, P.O. Box 129 Grand Canyon, AZ 86023"
----------------------------------------------------------------
And here is the story. The horse wasn't "captured." The Indians had some of the "little horses" in a pasture.

Bruce

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,892  
It's in the internet... it has to be real.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,894  
After reading the first part of your post, I had to laugh at this.:D
🤣 I happen to live with someone that I file in the "horse whisperer" / "Crocodile Dundee" category when it comes to mind reading of animals. So, I tread lightly. The in-house expertise keeps me aware of how little I know, much less understand, but that's what this thread is about right?

When I started working with horses later in life, in addition to listening to anyone who was willing to teach me something, I read a wide variety of modern and older 1800s books trying to make sense of horses (and cows). Fay E. Ward, b 1887 has a couple of rather informative books that offer some (great in my opinion) practical advice for cowboys and cattle handing;
Along the way, he does a great job of overturning a number of popular and Hollywood myths, while providing, I think, insights into how things were done to move with the intrinsic nature of horses and cattle, being "Zen" about it. Originally written in 1958, or so.

@bcp thanks for clearing up the origin of the photo! (And for the back story)

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,897  
Tell us something we don’t know...

Jim Jones (yes, THAT Jim Jones) sold spider monkeys door-to-door in Indianapolis to raise money for his church.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,898  
In the 50s, you could mail order and have a monkey sent to you. My aunt had one, for a while. Cute and adorable, not. They kept it in town out on the screened in front porch, until it broke out, and climbed an electric pole. That was the end of that.