Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,831  
I'll ask my geologist brother. Who knows for absoute certainty since new discoveries are made all the time. I did read about the extinction period, maybe due to the last ice age? Maybe some horses survived it?
History is interesting and dynamic. Who knows the accuracy of what life was like in 2024 in year 3000?
My Cherokee father in law told of things told to him verbally from his ancestors. Even in my lifetime (71) I've seen inaccuracies of some things.
Most of the bigger mammals went instinct around that time the Mammoth, the north American Camel, the horses and many others, there is a few theories on why, changes in climate is the most agreed on, but the cause is heavily disputed, asteroids, volcanic eruptions, drought or early human hunting or a combination, personally I believe it was a asteroids as per Greenland ice core but that's me.

this article is a interesting insight,

This article is somewhat inline with what you are saying, although it doesn't changes or disagree on who brought the horse and on its earlier intinction.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,832  
Most of the bigger mammals went instinct around that time the Mammoth, the north American Camel, the horses and many others, there is a few theories on why, changes in climate is the most agreed on, but the cause is heavily disputed, asteroids, volcanic eruptions, drought or early human hunting or a combination, personally I believe it was a asteroids as per Greenland ice core but that's me.

This article is somewhat inline with what you are saying, although it doesn't changes or disagree on who brought the horse and on its earlier intinction.

In other words, my viewpoints about horses may be as inaccurate as what we were taught about the Bison. It took some digging to find anything about the latter which which contradicts the narrative that whites singlehandedly hunted them nearly to extinction.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,833  
At least some of this is total BS. The American Indians did not even have horses before their "white brothers" brought them from Europe in 1519. So, how were they gifting free horses to one-another?

There was plenty of warring between Native American tribes, long before and contemporary to the Europeans arriving. Possessing inferior military technology does not somehow imply or guarantee a group is passivists. It's terrible, what they suffered due to disease and mistreatment, but they were also not innocent lambs at the slaughter. The whole idea of that meme, that they were all just living in harmony, is fiction.

A few historians have pointed out what a shame it was, that we discovered a stone-aged culture in the 17th century, as of course we did nothing but conquer and destroy it. Imagine if we had the same opportunity today, to learn and understand how such an ancient culture lived. In many regards, they were living in the 17th century, as the middle east and Europe were, 4000 - 2000 BC.
I agree. The accepted theory is that the Indians lived in some sort of utopian society in harmony with the land and all that. You meant to say that there was no greed, dishonesty, laziness, infidelity, etc. before the Europeans arrived? Sorry, don't buy it. They were human just like us, with all the traits both good and bad that entails. Much like the blanket story that someone quotes every time we change the clocks.

I wonder how different we would be today coming across a society less advanced technologically than we are. Especially if they had something (resources, etc.) we wanted.
My Cherokee father in law told of things told to him verbally from his ancestors. Even in my lifetime (71) I've seen inaccuracies of some things.
Given that they had no written language and history was passed along verbally, you know the stories get embellished and re-worded with the passing of time, if for no reason other than the teller putting the story into his own words.

As far as modern-day inaccuracies go, 3 people could observe the same event yet have 3 very different descriptions of what happened. The passing of time only blurs things further.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,834  
We played that game in kindergarten, the teacher whispered something to the first student and each kid passed it along. It was a little different by the time it got to the last kid.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,835  

Interesting articles, but unless I missed something, they did not contradict anything I was saying. American Indians having horses 100 years after the Spanish brought them and abandoned them here, does not imply they were here in the century before the Europeans brought them.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,837  
IMG_0975.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,838  
Interesting articles, but unless I missed something, they did not contradict anything I was saying. American Indians having horses 100 years after the Spanish brought them and abandoned them here, does not imply they were here in the century before the Europeans brought them.
you didn't miss anything, I thought the same the title is miss leading.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,839  
But for the fact a dB is not a unit, it is a logarithmic multiplier. "80 dB" has no amplitude, no size. It is saying something is 80 dB stronger than something else but isn't saying what it is stronger than.

For sound we use dBA to signify it is using a scale arbitrarily defined as "A", and sadly A and acoustic use the same letter. But there is also a B acoustic scale.

What is an A-weighted decibel (dBA or dB(A))?

In radio terms we use dBm and dBV a lot. 0 dBm is 1 microvolt milliwatt 0 dBV is 1 Volt.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,840  
But for the fact a dB is not a unit, it is a logarithmic multiplier. "80 dB" has no amplitude, no size. It is saying something is 80 dB stronger than something else but isn't saying what it is stronger …

I don’t know where MW gets their info from. I think they make it up. If it was true, why wouldn’t it be deciBell?