Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,651  
Do you recall how much a gallon of lead paint weighed?
No, but it naturally depends on the percentage. I did find one quote of 10 lbs per gallon. Modern paints use Ti02, (Titanium dioxide); density 4.23 g/cm3; lead white pigment (lead carbonate), density 6.7-6.9 g/cm3.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #7,652  
Nope! Try 1978! Congress actually passed a bill in 1971, as an early measure, but it was 1978 before the CPSC clamped down and the stuff actually left the store shelves.

I'd believe you if you said it was already losing popularity for interior projects, prior to that. I don't really know when people began to realize lead was a hazard, in paint.

Most folks don't realize that lead isn't really very dangerous, in most forms. Specifically, it's lead dust from sanding or pulverizing paint, that causes most problems. Old houses with lead paint on the woodwork do not create a hazard, until someone comes in and starts sanding down the woodwork for repaint, or the paint starts peeling and some kid eats the stuff. It is most dangerous as a respiratory hazard.
Pretty sure ingestion is the most common route of lead exposure, not respiration. Yes respiration is a hazard, but is not as common for non-industrial exposures. Even in lead paint abatement, the chips and dust generated that are not properly contained and removed end up as an ingestion hazard. Kid touches contaminant on floor/windowsill/etc, picks it up on fingers, touches lip or mouth and in it goes.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,653  
Pretty sure ingestion is the most common route of lead exposure, not respiration. Yes respiration is a hazard, but is not as common for non-industrial exposures. Even in lead paint abatement, the chips and dust generated that are not properly contained and removed end up as an ingestion hazard. Kid touches contaminant on floor/windowsill/etc, picks it up on fingers, touches lip or mouth and in it goes.
I agree that ingestion is probably most common route by volume or weight. But I was talking about health hazard, not most common route of ingestion. Respirated lead dust is supposedly much more damaging than swallowed lead, which probably passes more quickly out of the body through regular GI function.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know.
#7,657  
Reminds me of Times Beach. If my memory is correct they oil and chipped their streets with an oil that was a carcinogen. I’ve driven by it and tge town is fenced off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,658  
Reminds me of Times Beach. If my memory is correct they oil and chipped their streets with an oil that was a carcinogen. I’ve driven by it and tge town is fenced off.
A couple of years ago they were trying ro send toxic oil up here to use when making asphalt. Apparently there are no laws against it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,659  
During the most recent ice age, 30 to 15 thousand years ago, northern Alaska was NOT covered in ice.
Nor was eastern Russia and China. The "Ice Age" was in fact quite localized to Scandinavia and North America.

But the "dryness" due to all that frozen water, had it's effect around the globe.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,660  
Probably PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl) oil, formerly used in transformers. I recall it being used for dust control on roads. Forty years or so ago, I was an "environmental engineer". My company sampled and tested ever transformer on their property, and eventually replaced the PCB oil and legally disposed of it.