Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,642  
Wow, I forgot. that. So was shaving cream and kitchen items. Model airplane glue was in lead tubes.

I thought outdoor house paint had lead in it. I was told a gallon weighed 40 lbs? Think that's true?
Airplane glue brought an interesting memory, I was about 14 and at our 2 acre lake wandered what if I squirted a tube of it standing at end of boat dock. It immediately covered lake!!! I pulled up 2 acres of Saran wrap! Of course super thin. Very weird.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,643  
Broken window VS stuck in the woods. Window is easy to replace. Takes less than an hour.
Yeah well, I didn't break the window and I drove home. It's a lot better to carry spare key and other tools.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,644  
Wow, I forgot. that. So was shaving cream and kitchen items. Model airplane glue was in lead tubes.

I thought outdoor house paint had lead in it. I was told a gallon weighed 40 lbs? Think that's true?
They outlawed lead in house paint in the 50's I think; I was a house painter in the early 60's, and we had to mix it special if we wanted to use it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,645  
My grandfather next door and Dad mixed paint. I can't remember the formula but whitewash I think they called it. It lasted a long time. There's still a cement boat there we mixed Portland cement, gravel, sand in.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,646  
A lot of pigments were made from heavy metal compounds. Lead, Chromium, Cobalt, etc. Since they were inorganic, they did not break down or fade like dyes or organic pigments do. It was the easy durable way to get vibrant lasting colors. Downside was the toxicity that took a while until people figured that out...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,647  
They outlawed lead in house paint in the 50's I think; I was a house painter in the early 60's, and we had to mix it special if we wanted to use it.
Nope! Try 1978! Congress actually passed a bill in 1971, as an early measure, but it was 1978 before the CPSC clamped down and the stuff actually left the store shelves.

I'd believe you if you said it was already losing popularity for interior projects, prior to that. I don't really know when people began to realize lead was a hazard, in paint.

Most folks don't realize that lead isn't really very dangerous, in most forms. Specifically, it's lead dust from sanding or pulverizing paint, that causes most problems. Old houses with lead paint on the woodwork do not create a hazard, until someone comes in and starts sanding down the woodwork for repaint, or the paint starts peeling and some kid eats the stuff. It is most dangerous as a respiratory hazard.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,648  
They just stopped using lead in boundary line paint about 30 years ago. I once left two gallons in the woods, only to return the next day and find a bear had gotten into it and eaten both gallons. I doubt that it lived very long afterwards.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,649  
Nope! Try 1978! Congress actually passed a bill in 1971, as an early measure, but it was 1978 before the CPSC clamped down and the stuff actually left the store shelves.

I'd believe you if you said it was already losing popularity for interior projects, prior to that. I don't really know when people began to realize lead was a hazard, in paint.

Most folks don't realize that lead isn't really very dangerous, in most forms. Specifically, it's lead dust from sanding or pulverizing paint, that causes most problems. Old houses with lead paint on the woodwork do not create a hazard, until someone comes in and starts sanding down the woodwork for repaint, or the paint starts peeling and some kid eats the stuff. It is most dangerous as a respiratory hazard.
I don't think the paint stores here carried lead paint; at least that was why I concluded that the contractor I worked for had to make his own. We never used lead paint on new homes; only well-to do remodels. Thank goodness we didn't do many repaints where we had to sand the old paint.

I know that there were cases of children eating the paint chips; not good.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,650  
Do you recall how much a gallon of lead paint weighed?