Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,481  
Not to mention, that more than likely, most of the old growth timber was exported to Europe!
In colonial New England, the choice white pines were stamped with a bark blaze and brand with the British crown on them. These trees were reserved for ship masts for the royal navy.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,482  
In colonial New England, the choice white pines were stamped with a bark blaze and brand with the British crown on them. These trees were reserved for ship masts for the royal navy.
There were supposedly a few left in Maine fifty years ago, but I have no idea if any are still around. IIRC: it was a bit of a closely guarded secret. (300 year old pine or spruce in New England?)

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,483  
I wouldn't be too happy/feel too appreciated if I am in a place for 2 years and producing most of the work and a guy that's been there for 10 years is doing less than me but gets paid more. That's the way it is in many union labor shops. ;)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,484  
More than that; trees over 24" were property of the King. Possession of them was a violation.

About 20 years ago my father had the house torn down which was part of the family homestead... my grandfather was born there in 1898 and always claimed it was the oldest house in town. It was sheathed in wide pine, but every one was 23 inches or less. No primary facia there!!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,485  
More than that; trees over 24" were property of the King. Possession of them was a violation.

About 20 years ago my father had the house torn down which was part of the family homestead... my grandfather was born there in 1898 and always claimed it was the oldest house in town. It was sheathed in wide pine, but every one was 23 inches or less. No primary facia there!!
Some of that lumber made from old growth trees is amazing. I’ve heard there are some of those colonial blazed trees still standing. Have you seen any?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,486  
There were supposedly a few left in Maine fifty years ago, but I have no idea if any are still around. IIRC: it was a bit of a closely guarded secret. (300 year old pine or spruce in New England?)

All the best,

Peter
Those trees would have to be close to 400 years old if any still exist. Because I’m sure they didn’t blaze trees less than 20” in diameter.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,489  
Some of that lumber made from old growth trees is amazing. I’ve heard there are some of those colonial blazed trees still standing. Have you seen any?
No
I have heard that you really need to look to tell it's an old King's Arrow. After 250 years, chances are that they've all died off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,490  
No
I have heard that you really need to look to tell it's an old King's Arrow. After 250 years, chances are that they've all died off.
Most likely that is true. IDK about the lifespan of eastern white pine. I do know that western white pine, southwestern white pine, and sugar pines in the west can live for 500+ years.