Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,421  
"The recent uproar over a McDonald's location in Darien, Connecticut, charging $18 for a Big Mac combo meal has sparked a nationwide debate on the escalating prices in the fast-food industry"

Josephine Baker had to go to France to get on stage.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,422  
In New England you can still find miles and miles of rock walls made from clearing the land for a plow. These wall measure about 3 ft tall and 3 ft wide. Horses drug stone boats which men piled with stones and then stacked the stones in walls along the boundary. A testament to some impressive work
We used to live in rural New England where there weren't and still aren't many people. We had a few miles of stone walls and I often thought of the labor that went into clearing the fields. It must have been an unimaginable task.

We sometimes went chasing partridge up near the Quebec border, many miles from anywhere and you would stumble cross old stone walls and basement foundations. Stone cattle loading ramps. Talk about hardy people to live there 100-200+ years earlier.

We found foundations and old walls where you would never expect them. We could find an old lilac bush or even flower bulbs that still came up each spring and took cuttings to take home. We would just sit there and wonder what life would have been like. You were born there and died there and now no one knows you were there.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,423  
My wife's niece used to live in Franklin, Tennessee, near Nashville. Their small farm had a stone wall on it; they called it a "slave wall", presumably built by slaves.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,424  
We used to live in rural New England where there weren't and still aren't many people. We had a few miles of stone walls and I often thought of the labor that went into clearing the fields. It must have been an unimaginable task.

We sometimes went chasing partridge up near the Quebec border, many miles from anywhere and you would stumble cross old stone walls and basement foundations. Stone cattle loading ramps. Talk about hardy people to live there 100-200+ years earlier.

We found foundations and old walls where you would never expect them. We could find an old lilac bush or even flower bulbs that still came up each spring and took cuttings to take home. We would just sit there and wonder what life would have been like. You were born there and died there and now no one knows you were there.
We are dust in the wind...

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,425  
"The recent uproar over a McDonald's location in Darien, Connecticut, charging $18 for a Big Mac combo meal has sparked a nationwide debate on the escalating prices in the fast-food industry"

In the states where minimum wage is being increased to $15 - $20 per hour, does this also apply to minors, or only adults? Aside from making a Big Mac ridiculously expensive, I think this has the potential to create problems with giving some minors a little too much independence from parental rule. I can only imagine the messes I'd have created for myself at age 16, if mom didn't have me under her thumb, so to speak.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,426  

This was discussed in another thread. The $18 meal was at a rest stop, which is notoriously expensive and most likely a franchise to boot. At most McD's that same meal is under $11.

The average price of a Big Mac worldwide is tracked pretty well. In the US it currently averages $5.69.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,427  
Big Mac combo meal is $10.49 here.
Double Big Mac combo meal is $12.39.

That $18 claim was at a rest stop. Those are notoriously overpriced, as is airport food.

So as people keep posting that big mac combo meals cost $18, yeah, a fraction of them do, but statistically zero don't cost anywhere near that much.
Airport will cost you $10 just for the sandwich.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,428  
Here's one I'm sure very few know: In 855 AD, the Roman Catholic church supposedly unknowingly elected a female pope, who was impersonating a man. When she went into labor in 858, it became impossible to hide that she was a female, and the church responded by executing her.

For a few centuries thereafter, part of the coronation ceremony for new popes was to sit on a chair with a hole in the bottom, with his junk hanging through the hole. A bishop would then have the job of giving the new pope a reach-around, to verify he indeed had testicles, confirmed by the utterance of an official phrase, "Duos habet et bene pendentes". Translated to English, "He has two and they dangle nicely".

There is debate and myth surrounding the chair, which is actually much, much older than the reach-around ceremony, with most evidence pointing toward it being an old and ornate toilet chair that was repurposed for this ceremony.

The Roman Catholic church of course denies all of this today, but like with some other things they've more recently tried to deny, there is too much evidence to completely make the story go away.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,429  
I saw a demo of a robot arm that made a perfect burger everytime, 24 hrs a day.
No excuses, No vacation, No matching social security, No complaints, etc.
If you make workers unaffordable the company will find ways to replace the workers.
All gas stations that make all the money on selling fast food do use machines to make the burger, put a frozen one in a slot and out it comes ready, suppose that is common all over?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,430  
Big Mac combo meal is $10.49 here.
Double Big Mac combo meal is $12.39.

That $18 claim was at a rest stop. Those are notoriously overpriced, as is airport food.

So as people keep posting that big mac combo meals cost $18, yeah, a fraction of them do, but statistically zero don't cost anywhere near that much.
I used to travel the New York State Thruway to visit relative a while back. Pricy toll road with sky high gas prices and outrageous rest stop chain restaurant pricing. I don't remember the amount but they were in your face pricing likely because it was a limited access road.

Guess what? People stopped stopping at those rest areas but got off to buy gas and have something to eat. It took a while but suddenly prices are lower and actually a little on the low side. Go figure.