Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,231  
Clown world is is not? I remember the business mantra "Real changed comes from the bottom up" yet the same people made policy that discourages that change from the bottom.
Current policy is change comes from executive order down - Fail :rolleyes:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,233  
In New Jersey >

Instead of having the intended beneficial impact on the environment, the reusable bag ban has actually backfired, data reported in the study show. Plastic consumption in the state has nearly tripled, with New Jerseyans previously consuming 53 million pounds of plastic before the ban, compared to 151 million pounds following the ban, FCR researchers reported.

The article reports heavier reusable plastic bags being thrown out - not reused. Resulting in the additional plastic waste.
Every now and then my wife gets on a reusable bag kick, but you have to remember to bring some with you, and it's easy to forget. At least 2 of our neighboring states have such laws (Maine & Vt, not sure about Mass), and it's a PITA every time we buy something there.

We do try to keep the number of bags to a minimum...if everything will fit in one, it'll all go into one. Plus we re-use a lot of them...wastebasket/compost pail liners, triple-bag used oil filters, wrap around electrical plugs when we have the Christmas lights up, etc.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,234  
We have our rotating reusable bags. been using them for years.

Not due to the gov though, just got tired of plastic bags everywhere, and we have a dispenser for them, which is always full.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,235  
Are your significant others, bag ladies?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,236  
The Eskimo Pie came about by an Iowa kid who couldn't decide if he wanted ice cream or a chocolate bar... A brief history below.

One day in 1920, a young customer could not decide whether to buy ice cream or a chocolate bar. He only had enough money for one or the other. And that gave store owner Christian Nelson an idea, one which would make this Iowa immigrant independently wealthy and revolutionize the U.S. frozen treat industry.

By the time Christian Kent Nelson, a Denmark, was 27, he was working in Onawa, then with a population of 2,256, as a school teacher. In the summers, he owned and operated the Royal Ice Cream Parlor there … and that’s where the idea for his invention was born.

Young Douglas Ressenden came into the store one hot summer day and spent a great deal of time vacillating between buying a chocolate bar or ice cream. Nelson suggested perhaps he should buy both if he was having such a hard time making up his mind. The boy finally settled on the chocolate bar and said, “I want ‘em both, but I only got a nickel.”

Nelson had an entrepreneurial spirit and wondered if there was a way to combine the products so other young boys wouldn’t have to choose between one tasty treat or the other in the future. It sounded like a simple concept, but he quickly learned why no one had produced such a concoction before.

After several failed experiments, he developed a way to make melted chocolate stick to a block of vanilla ice cream. He learned the secret was to add cocoa butter to the chocolate mix, as confectioners did for chocolate-filled boxed candies. He then invented a dipping machine to apply the chocolate to the block of ice cream, which was molded around a stick.

He called them “I-Scream Bars,” a play on the words “ice cream.” Satisfied with his creation, he made 500 “I-Scream Bars” to test at the annual local fireman’s tournament; they quickly sold out.

The idea soon took off, with other stores in Iowa selling the treats by the next year. It was clear that Nelson would need a partner to maximize the potential for his invention, but one company after another — seven in all — rejected the idea for fear that ice cream covered in chocolate would melt too quickly to be mass produced.

Nelson then turned to an Omaha-based chocolate producer he had once met briefly in Iowa City, Russell Stover, to help mass produce the product. The two men met on July 13, 1921, and agreed to split the profits from their new venture evenly. Both were so eager to get started, they signed an agreement that very day, handwritten on the letterhead of the Graham Ice Cream Company of Omaha, where the meeting was held.

Russell Stover suggested removing the wooden stick to make it a sandwich. Stover’s wife, Clara, came up with a new name for the cold treat — the Eskimo Pie.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,237  
Ever heard of Blue Bunny ice cream?
"More than 80 years ago, a Sioux City man entered a “Name that Ice Cream” contest hosted by the Wells brothers. His entry included the “Blue Bunny” name and bunny character after noticing how much his son loved the blue rabbits in a department store window."

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,238  
Ever heard of Blue Bunny ice cream?
"More than 80 years ago, a Sioux City man entered a “Name that Ice Cream” contest hosted by the Wells brothers. His entry included the “Blue Bunny” name and bunny character after noticing how much his son loved the blue rabbits in a department store window."
I learned something new today. Thanks. :)

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,239  
NJ banned single use plastic bags. The kind you get with every store purchase. They required a triple strength (3 Xs the thickness) reusable bag...
Oregon banned the single bags as well, just out of curiosity how much do they charge for the triple wall bags? I think they're a nickel here; I always bring a sturdy cardboard box that I just leave in the car.
I think they just banned all the styrofoam take away containers here at the first of the year, when they always roll out the idiocy and grift changes for the new year.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,240  
I think we pay a dime for a plastic bag at the grocery store checkout.