Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,141  
Ratcheting socket wrench invented in 1863.

1705520354871.png

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,142  
During the cabin build in Austria I was surprised to find plumbing parts in inch sizes such as 1/2, 3/4 and 1.

Thing is they called it Zoll and not inch.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,144  
During the cabin build in Austria I was surprised to find plumbing parts in inch sizes such as 1/2, 3/4 and 1.

Thing is they called it Zoll and not inch.
Yeah. Plumbers ... 😁
Often in drawings for threads they ad index "G".
Like compressed air inlet is G1/2"

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,145  
Yeah. Plumbers ... 😁
Often in drawings for threads they ad index "G".
Like compressed air inlet is G1/2"
Yes, well G threads are an interesting item, at least here, often referred to here as "metric G thread", which is actually British Standard Parallel Pipe Thread (BSPP) and sealed with an o-ring or washer because the threads are parallel. BSPT (British Standard Pipe, Taper), also known as "R thread", is a tapered thread like the US NPT. BSPP can thread into NPT, but it doesn't seal. We get many cheap imports that claim NPT pipe threads that are actually BSPP, leading to many unhappy customers...

Here are a few of the thread types available, although some manufacturers, such as Komatsu, have threads unique to their products.
and I highly recommend this summary;

Even with a thread gauge and a micrometer, I find sorting through some of the thread types challenging at times, but perhaps that's just me.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,146  
With straight pipe threads I was taught the secret is hemp…

Not that you smoke it but wrap the threads in the fibers and when assembled the fiber swells and seals…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,147  
With straight pipe threads I was taught the secret is hemp…

Not that you smoke it but wrap the threads in the fibers and when assembled the fiber swells and seals…
How reliable is that to not leak? I also wonder if some just try more wraps of thread tape to try and make it work long enough for them to get paid and leave.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,148  
How reliable is that to not leak? I also wonder if some just try more wraps of thread tape to try and make it work long enough for them to get paid and leave.
I’ve been in many homes there with galvanized pipe straight threads with hemp… no issues.

Teflon won’t work as it doesn’t swell.

I did mine in copper but have had to repair several times due to extreme cold over the last 40 years.

Now need compressed air and always pull the Bosch Tankless to protect…

Might go years no issues but one extended hard freeze and somewhere it will cause a problem if precautions not taken… primary heat is wood so no furnace to leave on unattended.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,149  
America’s 4 largest automakers skip
Super Bowl ads…

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #7,150  
I’m 59 years old, I like to think I learn something every day, even if it’s useless. Share something with us we might not know.

I’ve always been a bit of a star gazer but don’t know a lot about them. My daughter got me a telescope for Christmas. I was looking at Venus one night and I thought it was broken, it was half gone. The inner planets, Venus and Mercury have phases just like the moon. You just don’t normally see them unless magnified.

I should add this doesn’t need to be astronomy related, it can be anything.
1705643730223.png