Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,781  
That is just like how you coil up bandsaw blades. Sorta. As they are in a loop... There is a trick to it where you stand on it and grab the top with your hand in just the right orientation, and then twist your wrist and it coils right up. The trick is getting your hand in the right orientation so you can complete the motion.
For small blades (14 -24 in saws)
I hold the blade out horizontal in my upturned hands that are positioned about 1/3 the blade length apart.

A gentle flip to get inertia to help, and the blade neatly lays over it's self in a coil. Larger blades (stiffer) I can make use of a wall or the underside of a work bench to get things going in the desired way.
Easy if you see it, hard to pick it out from printed words.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,782  
So, Winter, I'm guessing you are active over on OWWM forum then? Those big tools are cool but yeah they have challenges...
Yep, been there, even back when it was just a Yahoo! Groups mailing list.

That is just like how you coil up bandsaw blades. Sorta. As they are in a loop... There is a trick to it where you stand on it and grab the top with your hand in just the right orientation, and then twist your wrist and it coils right up. The trick is getting your hand in the right orientation so you can complete the motion.
Real fun with serrated razor blade bands, like those used for cutting foam cushions or stryofoam blocks on bandsaws. Also uncoiling any band blade much over 1" wide can be a little terrifying the first few times.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #6,783  
Model A basically stock produces 60cfm at 100 psi.

Runs on 2 and pumps on 2
42920340345_8f1172a4c9_c.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,784  
Two 14" blades or a single up to 22" maximum. It was a dual arbor saw, so common to keep a 14" rip blade on one arbor and a 14" dado stack on the other, selecting between them by spinning a carriage positioning wheel. Pretty cool machine, and very handy not having to constantly change blades during a project. I also have a big radial arm saw that could take blades up to 20", although I have it presently fitted with a 16" crosscut blade and guard, so the table saw only had to be used for rip cuts while the radial saw did all the cross cuts.

When first out on my own, struggling to amass tools and a real woodworking shop while paying my first mortgage, I found that good commercial-quality machinery was pretty expensive, but used industrial-grade machinery was basically free to anyone who could move the stuff. So, I went from shopping 600 lb. Deltas and Powermatics, to 2000 lb. Olivers, Tannewitz's, and Crescents. I had a jointer that looked like an aircraft carier, the aforementioned table saw, a 32" bandsaw, a planer that weighed more than my pickup truck, etc. All were free or nearly free, since commercial shops couldn't maintain insurance buying such old equipment, and few hobbiests have the wherewithal to move or power that equipment.

Like with anything, timing is everything. I was amassing equipment just as the foundries all over the northeast were shutting down their pattern-making shops, and auctioning off equipment. Of all industries, foundries had the very best woodworking machinery, way better than any cabinet maker, due to the scale and complexity of wood patterns made for casting iron and aluminum.
Yes, I have picked up some wonderful old tools from foundries as well, and restored a couple. Mine are small, by comparison, but powerful enough for me to treat them very carefully. I love the precision of the old casting; with a little TLC, they work amazingly well.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,785  
Yes, I have picked up some wonderful old tools from foundries as well, and restored a couple. Mine are small, by comparison, but powerful enough for me to treat them very carefully. I love the precision of the old casting; with a little TLC, they work amazingly well.
It don't take much to cut off a finger! Of all the woodworking machines I own, I have personal knowledge of only two of them having removed fingers, or parts of them. The irony is that they're not the behemoths, but a little tabletop (7-1/4 or 8 inch?) contractor's saw and a miniature 4" tabletop jointer. The table saw separated my FIL from his middle finger, while I watched, and the little jointer took all the finger tips off my grandfather when he was young. Maybe the big machines make so much noise and commotion that no one gets too relaxed around them.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,786  
It don't take much to cut off a finger! Of all the woodworking machines I own, I have personal knowledge of only two of them having removed fingers, or parts of them. The irony is that they're not the behemoths, but a little tabletop (7-1/4 or 8 inch?) contractor's saw and a miniature 4" tabletop jointer. The table saw separated my FIL from his middle finger, while I watched, and the little jointer took all the finger tips off my grandfather when he was young. Maybe the big machines make so much noise and commotion that no one gets too relaxed around them.
I think it's personal thing. I know a builder that is down to 2 fingers on one hand. Cut them off ONE part at time in 4 separate events (once removing the remaining 2 knuckles of a finger) on the same table saw.....

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,787  
I think it's personal thing. I know a builder that is down to 2 fingers on one hand. Cut them off ONE part at time in 4 separate events (once removing the remaining 2 knuckles of a finger) on the same table saw.....
Yikes!

One would have thought that he would have switched to a Sawstop saw after the first incident.

I have never been comfortable with table saws. Ever. For this exact issue.

All the best,

Peter

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,788  
Yikes!

One would have thought that he would have switched to a Sawstop saw after the first incident.

I have never been comfortable with table saws. Ever. For this exact issue.

All the best,

Peter
I would think you get REAL safety aware after the first one....
I do a lot of stupid stuff and the safety police would hate me, but so far (knock on wood) I still have all the body parts I was born with. Granted many have had to regrow skin, flesh and some bone ;) but I do learn what hurts and try to avoid that, unless it just minor like wasp stings, etc

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #6,789